Create K2ServerLog Database

Badge +2

Hi,

Our K2 Installations had been installed without different databases for K2 and K2Log.

We have two questions:

1. How can we create a K2ServerLog database and reconfigure K2 to use it?
  2. Using different databases will result on a better performance?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi,

K2 has moved to a single database setup (also referred to as Consolidated Database) for K2 installations. There is no longer separate DBs for K2Server and Server Log. These functions have been broken up by schema inside the single database. 

As for performance, K2 has taken steps to ensure performance by how the file groups are organized. If you scrutinize the database configuration, you will see that the busier schema have there own dedicated files while lesser used schema are grouped together.

Over all, performance shouldn't be impacted and I'd suspect things should work better. Not to mention the benefits that are now available with regard to SQL Always On and overall DR planning through the use of a single database.

In short, one db is a good thing. 

S.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

I thought I would throw up a quick snapshot of the K2 DB properties to illustrate what I was talking about with regard to the file groups. You can see in the screen shot that Server and ServerLog both have their own file groups so in reality if you were concerned about performance you could move those to different spindles to improve IO throughput.

12193iF7BE79F6FA4AC90B.png

Badge +2

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply, I understand how it works.

Is there any way to clear de ServerLog database? I'm cleaning a development environment, I deleted previous workflow versions deleting also the log entries and in my reports doesn't appear any process, but if I look for serverlog database it's about 1'5 GB. I tried it using the archiving feature in the workspace but its reporting some errors and I'm not able to clean this database.

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

I am assuming you aren't going to want to retain any of the log infromation. If so, you can use the nuclear option of this stored procedure in the K2 database 

[ServerLog].[wipeall] .

It will clear the ServerLog Schema.

S.

Badge +2

Yes you're right. I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks again.