karhunr
Canvas Initiate

Adding or removing "/" from text

Removing characters: We have barcode scanners that are primarily used for one specific purpose - and the default value on the scanner is programmed to insert an "\" before and after reading an Employee ID (EID) from a badge, so the EID displays like this: "\000000\" when it's scanned into a field.

But, we also use the same barcode readers for another purpose -- that doesn't require the input of an "\". When we used infopath, for the forms that don't require the use of the "\" --  I had a rule "if EID contains "\", it would remove "\" from the start and end of the EID string.

There isn't a fixed # of characters in the EID, so I can't use a count of character spaces. The EIDs could range from 3-10 characters currently. Is there a way to do write a calculation that will remove any "\"s from the field?

Adding characters
Conversely, on another form,  I have an input field that I want to ADD the "\" to the beginning and end of the EID after it's typed in.

When I try to use the character "\" -- the form won't load. I tried it out with other characters -- that will work with the same calculation configuration, so I'm guessing -- there's something Nintex isn't liking about the "\". Examples:

"\"+EmployeeID+"\" will not run, but  "/"+EmployeeID+"/" works. Is there something else I can try?

Doesn't workDoesn't workWorksWorks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CollinBurnell
Nintex Observer

Re: Adding or removing "/" from text

In a Regular Expression Action... Pattern: \/
0 Kudos
karhunr
Canvas Initiate

Re: Adding or removing "/" from text

Are you referring to updating the field using a workflow?
0 Kudos