Nesting Processes in a larger workflow

Badge +6

Since we are new at this workflow authoring I had a question to ask via an example.

I have an HR process that updates employee information
I have a Gen Accounting process that sets employee hourly rates

I've been requested to produce a New Hire workflow and two of the tasks are to update employee information (HR process) and set employee rates (Gen Accounting process) and then produce a process where we order their business card (bad example)

Can I nest those first two processes (HR and Gen Accounting) into a larger workflow? Should I? How else could you get two processes to run in parellel?

thanks

11 replies

Badge +6

Is it necessary to run two workflows in parallel? Have you considered IPC (Inter Process Communication) You can call into a sub process from a main process with all the required information.

Badge +6

again. We are new at this. I havent heard of the IPC. Is it in the dev guide?

thanks again.

Badge +10

Yes, in the help file you will find it here

Designers > K2 Studio > Processes > Wizards > Event Wizards > Getting Started with
IPC

Badge +6

Found it. thanks again for your help.

Badge +6

I've read the documentation and am doing a test. I am at the Process, Folio and Type of Call screen and I click on the ellipses to get the context browser. I am looking for any of the Processes that I have already published to the server. I've clicked through all of the lists and dont see them anywhere. Is there something I am missing?

thanks

Badge +10

The Browse button will only locate a potential child process in the
current solution.  If you have a process you want to call that is already published to the server and you have permissions to start it type it into the box.

Badge +6

I have done that. Then i get a prompt saying "Please supply design time values for the following fields to continue." and asks for the process again. If i retype it in I get a warning saying "The Process Does not exist".
I am typing it in like this "K2ProjectK2ProcessName". Is that the correct format?

It is on the server. I do have rights to start it.

Badge +6

Here is a screen shot of what i am seeing:

Badge +10

I apologize for giving incorrect information. It appears that the only processes that can be called from an IPC is one that is local to the project.  This is something we are investigating changing,   Would be great feedback to log as a feature request via the portal, this way we have it logged.

Badge +10

Chris is correct.

However, there is a workaround though that I've used. 

1. You can copy the process you want to connect to and put it in your project folder that you're making the IPC call from.  That will allow you to browse to it and configure the design time values. 
  2. Add it to your project in K2 Studio but exclude it form build.
  3. Run through the IPC wizard  once browsing to the copied process and selecting the information you want to send and/or receive from the copied subprocess.
  4. Create a datafield and store the process name "K2project1Health Check process" in a datafield.  T
  5. Run the IPC event wizard again and use the Process elipse in the IPC Event to select that datafield.  That way when the IPC event fires at run time it will call the deployed process in the different project.

Its a bit of a pain but its worked for me.

Badge +10

Thanks Tim, that is a good tip/workaround.