Solved

workflow failed to run on existing item but ok on the same new item

• 26 October 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

As per subject, I am puzzled by this error message when the same workflow runs on an existing item:

Retrying last request. Next attempt scheduled in less than one minute. Details of last request: HTTP NotFound to https://xxxxxxxxxx

Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.

Workflow_Status.png

When running the same workflow from a new item it works fine all the way, but on an item where the workflow used to fail, it continues to fail.

Therefore I cannot re-run it on all the items and I do not want to have to recreate the items since they will lose the CreationBy and Created on date.

My gutfeeling is that there is something wrong with the workflow history list, as if there is already an item in the workflow history for that item ID and therefore it needs to be purges before running the workflow again, but how to find that  "workflow cache" ?

thank you for your input,

icon

Best answer by sharepointfranc 26 October 2015, 16:25

View original

5 replies

Badge +9

Hi François,

Can you explain briefly what your workflow does?

And what is, in you workflow, different, for a new item and an existing item.

Regards,

Christophe

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Just to test you can copy the current workflow to another new one with a different history list, and then run the new worklfow

Badge +7

Yes I tried similarly: 

• New workflow
  • Imported my previous working workflow
  • Publish under a new name
  • Run that new workflow on same item
  • Failed. 

Will try a new list as you suggested, but the issue will be that all my items will be new therefore it will work. 

Badge +7

It doesn't do much actually,

1. email initiator
  2. create a task to management for approval
  3. email on rejection / acceptance

The issue is that not even the beginning starts at all.

Is the Error message "Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user" not common ?

I did see that issue previously and it was down to the Workflow History permission, when user didn't have Contributor to that list, it would show this error. But the creator of the item has all access.

Badge +7

My BAD !

It was doing an action early in the workflow :

- Set Var of a field value which is a Lookup value, and ... strangely again (but a different problem) the value is not being retrieve and this is why I was seeing "item does not exist..." error.

Now that I have temporarily replaced that value retrieval by a text, the workflow continues.

thank you for making me self brain-storm , it was useful !