url in build string from query list

• 22 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +10

I'm currently trying to send an email with a URL. I have a site workflow that loops through a library and pulls metadata from certain documents. I put that through a Build String and that Build String into an email. The problem comes that no matter how I pull the URL, the email only shows </div>. Am I missing something?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
What does the URL look like before you put it through the build string?
What operation are you doing in the build string?
Badge +10

Well, I tried logging the variable with the URL to the history list before I did anything, but shows nothing when I look at the history. Maybe I'm using the wrong metadata?

The build string just puts several workflow variables together.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

The first attachment is an example from the "Insert Reference" button within the Send Email action.

It just emails a link to the current item and correctly handles cases where a space is in the URL.

Perhaps this could be a starting point?

The second attachment is from the "Set Workflow Variable" action that's assigning the current item URL to a text variable.

If you want to send an email for every item that satisfies a certain criteria then you maybe use a list workflow with an insert and/or update trigger filter to match your "certain documents" requirement. Otherwise with large lists you can encounter Microsoft's processing governor limitations that'll pause your workflow for 24 hours.

Badge +10

I'm using a site workflow rather than a library one, but I think the set variable could work! I'm trying to build the URL dynamically using the ID of the document, but am having issues. All the information I am finding is for list items rather than documents.

Badge +10

This is a site workflow and I am now using a set variable action. I was able to dynamically build the hyperlink. When I log it to the history list, I can see that it is correct and indeed a link. However, when I put that into a build string and email it out, I get extra and </div>. I'm also unconvinced that removing these extra characters will result in a clickable link in the email, though I could be wrong. What I get is the following:

https://URL/sites/Site/Library/FileName.FileType</div>

Does anyone know how I can fix this?