set a field with current user email/id when in edit mode

• 22 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi All,
I'm using a responsive form and would like to set a field (a single line of tex) with the current user email value/id but it doesn't seem to work.
When i try (In New mode it works but not In Edit Mode).
Is this how it is suppose to work or what am i missing here...

See screenshot

Thanks in advance

7590i2BA4E8072C0B5626.png

6 replies

Badge +4

Hi ,

You are not missing any it seems .

I think you might be checking the same in Preview > Preview settings > Edit Mode .

The value cannot fetch in Preview Edit mode .

Publish and check you will see the value when you edit the item .

Badge +3

Thanks for your response.

I have published it and opened it aspr normal

I can see the value in the edit mode not a problem and when i go to the list  and look at that record it hasn't saved.

Whe we use set,,is it also meant to save?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

If a field value is set then it should also be saved to the list in the background as long as the field is connected to a column.

Would using the new responsive form designer be also an option for you? I think that setting values in the new responsive designer is more flexible and robust than the rules engine in the former responsive designer.

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Hi @naijacoder

If you can use the New Responsive designer like @praios81 suggested here is how you can build your rule in that designer:

In this example I want to populate my email into the Text - Short 1 control only when the form is in edit mode.

When you go into the Rules tab in the new designer you'll notice that you don't have all the same options immediately available in the drop down, just the controls on the form.

You will want to select the 'Insert' option and that will give you all of the context properties that you will be looking for.

You will want to select 'Form mode' from the left menu, and then select the 'Is Edit mode' property.

With that selected you can then set the 'Is Yes' value for your rule.

Next you'll then configure the value for the Text - Short 1 control to be the context email:

When you Create the rule and then publish your form you should find that nothing is populated on New:

But when you edit the form, your email address appears:

Hope that helps!

Badge +3

Hi there,
Thanks  for the reply.

I'm using the Response Forms and not the New Responsive designer

I'm using the one below

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-Office-365/set-a-field-with-current-user-email-id-when-in-edit-mode/m-p/112823#M13272

Thanks and hope this helps

Hi @naijacoder ,

Have you found a solution to this issue?