Process Portal: Do they need to be set up manually

Badge +2

Hi all,

I'm a little confused on the Process Portal.  Does this need to be set up per site collection or is there something a bit more central which collects information on all workflows?   I've set up a rudimentary approval workflow and want to see how its going in the live flow diagram but I can't see where that sits.

Or, if I set up a process portal after a workflow is deployed, will it pick up previously compiled and installed workflows?

Any guidance is appreciated.

4 replies

Badge +10

You can have as many process portals as what you want meaning you aren't limited to 1 per site collection.  And yes a new process portal can pick up previously deployed workflows.

Its probably useful to note that all process portals retrieves its information from the centralized K2 databases so it has access to all the deployed processes and reports.  So changes made in a one process portal for a specific process would be reflected in another process portal administering that same process since they're both reading and writing to the same databases.

Its up to you and the business owners to decide what processes you want displayed in what process portals.  Maybe HR has multiple processes deployed so you set up a departmental process portal for HR which only displays the HR processes.

Or maybe for each process you create a separate process portal for those individual processes.

In addition you could also have a process portal set up for the K2 administrator that shows all the processes including departmental processes (HR for example) and that way the K2 administrator has one central spot to do K2 admin stuff for all the processes.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Badge +2

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Would I be right in thinking that the permissions for who can access what portal is managed via the People and Groups as per normal site collections?

Badge +10

To allow people to access the process portal site, just like any other site, would be done using the people and groups that get inherited by default from the site collection.

However, to be able to run reports you still need to give them K2 permissions on the process like view permissions or administrator.  To be able to make changes to items like roles and changing process versions I believe you need to give them admin permission at the K2 Server level.  Unfortunately, doing so means that they can potentially make changes to other processes they aren't involved with but I don't know of a way around that.  If someone else does I'd love to hear about it.

Tim

Badge +9

This is pretty much up to the requirements.  You can have a single or multiple process portals on a site collection.

E.g. You could setup a seperate process portal for each key process.  This would give you a birds eye overview of each process when you view the respective process portal.

As for the question on picking up previously deployed workflows.  The answer is no.  Association between a process portal and processes are done in the settings section of the process portal.  This is where you select the processes you wish to associate the process portal with.