cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
plamping
Nintex Newbie

new Nintex Forms Designer - Signature control

I see now there is a new version of Nintex Forms Designer.  I could not access it initially because of the new sites being blocked by our firewall, but after I got that resolved I saw the new designer.

It has a new Signature control, which I am glad to see, but the question is, "How do I use it?"  I cannot find much documentation.  There is 1 overview video I found (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTm07OFxhpE ) but it only mentions it briefly saying it will be stored in the list or in an image library, but how?  When I open the control properties, under "Connected to" it does not allow me to connect it to anything.  I tried the "Help" button but that only opens a generic help website with no obvious way to find anything.

Has anyone out there figured out how to get the signature control to save you image somewhere?

Labels: (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
minhquana3
Nintex Newbie

Re: new Nintex Forms Designer - Signature control

I am trying to find a way to use it today but failed. Adding a hyperlink or image column does not help. 

AUSharePoint
Nintex Newbie

Please provide detail on how to actually capture the image in the item.
0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The signature is captured and stored as image attached to the item directly. To get access to the image, you would need to use the web service call via workflow to retrieve the attachments. 

I've seen this request quite a few times and will work to update documentation with an example soon.

plamping
Nintex Newbie

Aha, now I see the attachment!  I had to modify the view and tell it to display "Attachments."

"Attachments" was always displayed by default on my old on-prem version of SharePoint, but not on SharePoint Online.

I should now be able to build a Nintex Workflow and use action Generate Document to get access to that signature.

0 Kudos
plamping
Nintex Newbie

I was able to build everything I need except for that web service call to retrieve the attachment. That step seems complicated. Hopefully you can soon provide us a documented example.

No pressure. Take your time.

But hurry up. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
plamping
Nintex Newbie

I am still working on this, using instructions I found for getting the list item attachment created by the Signature control,

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Community-Blogs/Get-List-Item-Attachments-using-Web-Services/ba-p/82...

Using those steps, I get the correct URL to the attachment file and then I insert it as an image tag in the document, but the workflow throws an error, “file not found for image tag.”

Any ideas how to resolve? I opened a call with Nintex but they have not offered a fix yet.
0 Kudos
plamping
Nintex Newbie

Updates - I made a lot of progress on this, using hours and hours of trial & error testing and other feedback. Nintext Support suggested I use "Office 365 Upload File" action to save the image to an image library. I got that to work using the relative URL to the list attachment image.

The image of the signature is too large and will not fit on same page as the text of the 1-page document. I am looking for ways to resize it.
0 Kudos
plamping
Nintex Newbie

Good news! Everything is working now! I used 1 more trick to resize the image in the document. I had to insert a picture into the document first, then I select the picture and resize it. Then select "Picture Tools" -> Selection Pane and insert the image tag into the field in that selection pane.

I discovered that trick from this new video, "Show a Nintex New Responsive Signature in DocGen (Office365)" around the 13th minute part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFAaXSnhkww

The entire video did not exactly match the method I used. I plan on cleaning up the process and documenting it for myself and posting the steps here for everyone's benefit, but I am simply glad I finally have a working demo to show the team.
0 Kudos
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Hi @plamping,

Sorry for the delay in getting onto this post. I am glad to see you found my videos helpful.

Cheers,

Euan

0 Kudos