linking to file on LAN (file://)?

• 18 November 2015
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

I'm got a label that includes a link to a PDF document. The location of the file is on a LAN drive.

However, the link will NOT function when viewing the form. You can click on it, but nothing happens. I know the URL is correct because I can right click, copy link location and then past it into a new window and the file opens.

I'm using IE11, (I know chrome and firefox do not allow file:// links)

If I put that same link into link list in SharePoint, it works fine, so I know its not a SharePoint issue.

Please advise.

1 reply

Badge +3

Thanks for the ideas. A couple of notes:

1. The links already use target="_blank"
  2. The elements look like this in the html: <a href="File://W:/BITS/DITAHN/TagxRef tracking sheet.xlsx" target="_blank">Link test</a>  (that's just an example. I've also used non mapped drives. so file://servername/path/file.ext)
  3. The same link in a normal SP link list looks like this: <a class=" ms-draggable" onfocus="OnLink(this)" href="File://W:/BITS/DITAHN/TagxRef tracking sheet.xlsx" DragId="46">Link test</a>. get rid of the JS and the class and its largely identical... Except the target = _blank.
  4. I did test to see if the target _ blank was causing the issue. Its not. The links still don't work.
  5. Before you ask, I've also tested with files that don't have spaces in the name. Same results.