cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeboggs
Nintex Newbie

linking to file on LAN (file://)?

I'm got a label that includes a link to a PDF document. The location of the file is on a LAN drive.

However, the link will NOT function when viewing the form. You can click on it, but nothing happens. I know the URL is correct because I can right click, copy link location and then past it into a new window and the file opens.

I'm using IE11, (I know chrome and firefox do not allow file:// links)

If I put that same link into link list in SharePoint, it works fine, so I know its not a SharePoint issue.

Please advise.

Labels: (1)
Tags (1)
3 Replies
Not applicable

Re: linking to file on LAN (file://)?

I don't have O365 so i can't duplicate this directly, but have you looked at the HTML of the form in Firebug or equivalent to see what's going on?

Also, if the form is being opened in a modal dialog (the default) I can imagine there being restrictions on simply navigating away to a new URL as that would implicitly quit the form without saving. You might have more luck if you try opening the PDF file in a new window or tab.

0 Kudos
mikeboggs
Nintex Newbie

Thanks for the ideas. A couple of notes:

1. The links already use target="_blank"
  2. The elements look like this in the html: <a href="File://W:/BITS/DITAHN/TagxRef tracking sheet.xlsx" target="_blank">Link test</a>  (that's just an example. I've also used non mapped drives. so file://servername/path/file.ext)
  3. The same link in a normal SP link list looks like this: <a class=" ms-draggable" onfocus="OnLink(this)" href="File://W:/BITS/DITAHN/TagxRef tracking sheet.xlsx" DragId="46">Link test</a>. get rid of the JS and the class and its largely identical... Except the target = _blank.
  4. I did test to see if the target _ blank was causing the issue. Its not. The links still don't work.
  5. Before you ask, I've also tested with files that don't have spaces in the name. Same results.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

I did a bit of testing on our (on-premise) site on this.

I found that if you put a link in a form label (I assume a Nintex form?), depending on how you entered the link in the editor the normal link anchor was sometimes pretty heavily mucked-about, so that a simple link-

<a href="file://.../My%20Pictures/clipart/horse-cart.jpg" target="_blank">Test Link</a>

became something with a "javascript:" href and the actual link address on a new custom attribute.

Adding the link manually in the HTML seemed to work better.

I tried putting the link into a label, and a rich text field. In both cases this did not work in Firefox, presumably because of cross-origin content loading rules, but it did work for me in IE11. Remember this is from an on-premise server though.

I think the cross-origin protections built into the browsers are your stumbling block. Not sure of there might be a workaround by using Javascript code to load the document in a new window, but it does seem quite difficult. I guess this sort of thing is going to affect a lot of organisations trying to move to O365.

0 Kudos