Solved

Working out the weekday on a Nintex form

• 27 March 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +5

Hi, is there any way to calculate the day of the week and put it in a field on a Nintex form? I need to display certain fields depending on the week day on which a form was created.

icon

Best answer by andrewg 4 April 2018, 19:06

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Let SharePoint do that work, add a calculated field on your list

Badge +5

But I want it to be available on a newly created form, and that doesn't work. So I'm stumped.

Badge +11

Hi Alice,

if JavaScript is an option you can use the custom javascript section of your form.

var d = new Date();
var weekday = new Array(7);
weekday[0] =  "Sunday";
weekday[1] = "Monday";
weekday[2] = "Tuesday";
weekday[3] = "Wednesday";
weekday[4] = "Thursday";
weekday[5] = "Friday";
weekday[6] = "Saturday";

var n = weekday[d.getDay()];

Reference: JavaScript getDay() Method 

Afterwards you only need to populate "n" to your control.

Cheers

Philipp

Badge +5

That is a very good idea. The only problem is that I can't work out how to write that value back to a field on my form! Do you know how to do that? I'm completely puzzled by it.

Thanks.

Alice.

Badge +11

Hey Alice,

thath shouldn't be a big problem:

1. Drag a single line textbox onto your form where you want to display the value
  2. Configure the control ("Advanced" tab)
    1. Store Client ID in JavaScript variable = Yes
    2. Client ID JavaScript variable name = some simple string

Query that control from your JS code and set the value. Something like that should do the trick:

NWF$("#" + weekdaytxt).val(n)

Best Regards

Philipp

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Just note that this won't work on mobile -- but if you don't need mobile, this is a great way to do it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can do this directly on the form and then save the value you want into a sharepoint column.

You see Wednesday on this form. It is a calculated control that is connected to a SharePoint column. So the value that is in the New Form will be saved to SharePoint.

Just drop a calculated control on the form, set the connected to dropdown, and add the formula.

I used the formatDate formula on the Common context Current Date

formatDate(Current Date, "dddd")

"dddd" provides the name of the day of the week.

See the blog Date and Time Format Strings - Quick Reference Guide  for more options on formatting. You can do "dd" for 04 being 4/4/18 today and "ddd" for Wed

Badge +5

Thank you Philipp, that's really helpful.

Badge +5

Wow this is also really helpful - thank you Andrew