Workflow "Log to History" in a Component Workflow

• 16 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Sorry for the newbie question but I've search and not come up with the answer yet...

I have a workflows on several document libraries each which calls into a couple of Component Workflows as these have generic actions across the multiple doc libs.

The component workflows have "Log to History" actions on them but they are not getting attached to the workflow history of document that initiated to list workflow.

So, is there any way to get any "Log to History" actions in a Component Workflow to be recorded against the List item's workflow history?

Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi,

Create Variables in your component workflow to store the information that you want to add to the History List of the item.  Configure it as an OutPut.

Have your componet Workflow populate this variable.

When you run the Component workflow configure the output with a variable to capture the output of the variable from the component workflow.

Now just Log this Variable to the History List of your item.

Hope that makes sense.

Badge +2

Technically, tha would work, but there's a few "wait states" in the component flow and I want to log metrics and key points as things happen, so this approach would not work.

Good suggestion though.

@SimonMuntz wrote:

Hi,

Create Variables in your component workflow to store the information that you want to add to the History List of the item.  Configure it as an OutPut.

Have your componet Workflow populate this variable.

When you run the Component workflow configure the output with a variable to capture the output of the variable from the component workflow.

Now just Log this Variable to the History List of your item.

Hope that makes sense.

Badge +9

Hey,

It's not super intuitive unfortunately, but as Component Workflows are isolated workflow instances, the log to history details are actually attached to the component workflow instance. If you go to the site your component workflow is published to and check the 'Site Workflow' instances (may need to click the 'Show all workflows' as the default view shows only your own) - you should see the component workflow instances and they should have all their own logs etc. attached there.

Let me know if this helps

Callum