Workflow isn't adjusting to data modification

Hi,

We have a workflow for an action form which has a due date (until the action should be cumpleted). The workflow's purpose is to send reminder e-mail before and after the due date on some specific days (-15, -7, -3, due date, +3, +7, +15). The problem is that after the due date is changed on the form, the workflow still calculates with the original due date. We set the "Start when items are modified" function but it seems it doesn't work.

The workflow is the following:

1. Run if - The action's status is "New" / "In progress"

2. Add time to date - calculates +/- x days compared to due date

3. Run if - The current item's creation day is less than the date calculated with Add time to date function

4. Pause until date - Until the calculated date

5. Run if - The action's status is "New" / "In progress"

6. Send e-mail

and we have this repeated below a few times for the other specific days.

I'm looking for some help. Thank you in advance!

12 replies

Badge +9

Hi Tibor Csaba,

Hope the new Due Date value is getting saved in the item only the problem with the workflow?.

Can you try to insert a "Log To History List" action and see what values you are getting for 'Due Date' and 'Calculated Date' when the item is modified.

Thanks,

Lakshmi Narayana C

Hi,

The calculated date is a workflow variable only which is calculated from the due date with the "add time to date" function. And yes, the due date has been changed, I can see it in version history. 

Where can I get the log where I can view the workflow variables as well? Because @ Version history I only see that I've changed the due date.

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I would recommend a site workflow for this. Query the list for the parameter you want (the correct date(s)) and then you can start a list workflow on it to send your notifications or just send them from the site workflow.

We have a similar requirement and utilized a site workflow then scheduled it using Plumsail. There are other ways to schedule the site workflows, however, especially depending on if you're in On Prem or 365.

Badge +9

Hi,

Please go throw the below link to how to use log to history list action and insert your  workflow variables and check whether they are populating correctly or not.

Working with Nintex workflow for Office 365 SharePoint Online  

And you can use site workflow for best results but list workflow also should work.

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Thanks. It seems like after I change the due date on the form the workflow doesn't start again.

Here is the log history: 

- The 1st action is an action which due date has been set for 28th May (-30 days, -7days, -3days are calculated for sending the mail compared to due date).

- The 2nd action is an action which due date has been set for 28th May, but I changed it later to 1st June.

So it seems like the workflow doesn't start again when something on the form has been modificated. And it's interesting because we set the following in workflow:

Badge +9

Hi,

Good. So the workflow is not getting started when an item is Modified, but the Due Date field value is getting saved in the item. Is it the same case on manual start of a workflow?

Even you can set conditional start in workflow settings to run the workflow when a Due Date value changed.

Thanks,

Lakshmi

It would take a lot of time to start workflow manually for all actions. And I should do it after every modification because it's the same situation...

Regarding conditional start: This would be very useful but I have Nintex Workflow for Office 365 so I don't see this function unfortunately.

Badge +9

No. I am just asking whether the workflow is running fine on manual start?. Is other workflows are running correctly on item creation/modification?. Also edit this workflow and publish it again and try it.

And regarding conditional start, please vote to the idea Conditional Start – Customer Feedback for Nintex so that you will get update if any changes happens.

I separated this big workflow to find out what the problem is and it seems to be the "pause until date" function. Until the workflow waits for this specific day the system doesn't react for modification.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yes, this is why I suggested the site workflow as it completely eliminates the "pause" and will run fresh every day (or hour or however you set it) and get fresh data

Thanks Courtney, the only problem is that we don't have Plumsail...

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

There are other ways to schedule workflows in Office 365! 

There are also ways via Azure to do this