Solved

Why might Print to PDF never return with a PDF?

• 14 October 2016
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello,

I'm using Nintex for SharePoint 2013 (Version 2.9.1.0). I have some Nintex forms that when I select the "Print to PDF" option, the "Converting to PDF" modal window comes up, but I'm never given a PDF to download and the modal overlay doesn't go away on it's own. I am experiencing this with IE 11, Firefox 49.0.1 and Chrome 53.

I'm at a bit at a loss as there are no error messages on screen or messages in the browser console. I am having trouble finding any diagnostic information about why this is failing. I've even placed break points on mousedown and mouseclick events and gone through a great deal of the JavaScript that fires on these events and I don't see any errors or obvious malfunctions.

Interestingly, (and I'm not sure if this is diagnostically significant), the Print to PDF button works when previewing the Nintex form, but not from the site proper.

A previous thread mentions CSS includes within a custom CSS field as being a culprit, but my form does not have any CSS includes. The only CSS added to this form is specifying a CSS class to style a rich text field. According to the documentation rich text is not allowed on multi-line text boxes. Does this lack of support also extend to rich text controls that are not multi-line text boxes?

This SharePoint instance does use a theme, but the theme is a business requirement so I'm unable to remove it. Are there any particular pieces of CSS that tend to interfere with Print to PDF? I can modify the theme, I just can't turn it off completely,

Any suggestions for narrowing down the conflict would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by rkoneval 17 March 2017, 13:12

View original

9 replies

Badge +7

Hi Drew,

It sounds like you have tested everything but I didn't see this in your comments.  Did you switch the pop-up blocker off? or allow for your sharepoint environment in your pop-up blocker?  What happens is that the pdf printer has a little pop-up at the bottom that prompts you to save the file somewhere.  Did you look in the IE downloads list?

Kind regards,

Badge +7

Good day Drew,

Did you ever manage to solve this problem?   I ran into a similar issue awhile ago after I split my Intranet into more Site collections.  I was site administrator and everything worked fine for me but some of my users couldn't print the pdf form.  They would click on the Print to Pdf button but nothing would happen.  No error messages.  After a long time and an email to Support@nintex.com we figured out that the one image used on the form was in a library that my users did not have access to.   After granting them permissions to the image again all worked fine again.

Let me know how you resolved your pdf issue.

I'm having this same issue. Wondering if anyone has had any kind of resolution?

Badge +7

Hi ‌,

Do you have any images in the PDF?  And is it only you or everyone that are experiencing this problem?

So I solved my issue I was having when clicking on the Print to PDF button and the pdf would never get generated. I contacted support and they gave me a resolution here is what it was.

• You need to make sure that the users have access to the root site collection of the web application.

The site I was printing from was http://RootSite/sites/SiteA. The users on this site did not have any access to the root site collection which was http://RootSite. Because of that they did not have access to some of the files in order to printer. When I looked in the log files I was seeing access denied. Once I granted them access they were able to print the pdf.

Here are a couple other suggestions they gave me that you can look at if you are having this problem and this did not help you.

• Does the site or subsite in which the error is occurring have unique permissions?
  • Do you have a custome master page or custom css on the site?

Hopes this helps anyone else that may have the same issue.

Rich

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

‌ have you found a solution for your problem? I see Rich has solved his, but have you? If any from the answers here helped you to solve it please mark it as "Correct".

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Tomasz

We found that our issue was related to our customer masterpage.  I've marked Rich's response as Correct.

thx

Drew

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks!

Badge +4

Hi guys,

I have the same issue, with a custom .masterpage. If I replace the masterpage by a seattle OOB the print is good. Do you know exactly how to allow print as pdf in custom masterpages?

Thank you in advance.