Advice for a process with Sharepoint to SQL integration

• 24 June 2005
  • 2 replies

Badge +5
I was wondering if I could get some advice in terms of design for the following scenario:

An InfoPath integrated process (using the InfoPath process template) completes and the final form is stored on SharePoint. Now we need to get a the whole xml file or a section of thereof into a different SQL DB.

Since we cannot (or so it seems) access the K2 DB, it sounds like we will need to use some external assembly to perform the transferral from SharePoint to SQL as the last activity in the process. This implies some research into SharePoint's DBs and what not.

I was wondering if there's some way to potentially do this through the features of K2?
Thanks in advance.

2 replies

Badge +8
the entire infopath doc is stored in a k2 process instance as a XML datafield, along with its sharepoint-relevant inforation. So you should easily be able to extract the bits you need and use the standard SQL event template to copy this data into your SQL db.
Badge +4
Another way is to have a server event at the very end of your process. In that event write the code for storing the portions of XML you need in your SQL Database.

This is what I do for my processes. The built-in SQL event template was not flexible enough for the type of data I needed to store (order/lineitem). So I just wrote the code myself.