Infopath Integration - hide forms

Badge +7

Starting a K2 workflow with infopath integration the form is published to a formlibrary. Which rights I have to set to allow users to submit the form - but to hide this form after the submit.

On K2 training labs after submit -  the form was hidden - what is do to to reach this?

Thx for any help.

7 replies

Badge +10

The submitter (originator) will require at least read rights on that SharePoint form library so they can access the form and launch it.  The originator will also require Start permissions on that particular process so that they can submit the form and start the workflow process.

As far as hiding the form I'm assuming that you're talking about the temporary form that gets created for the next InfoPath Client Event (like a Manager Review step to approve or reject the InfoPath form that was submitted).  If that's the case take a look at this post which provides a way so that the temporary InfoPath forms aren't saved back to the SharePoint form library:  http://k2underground.com/blogs/fromthebench/archive/2008/03/05/a-little-known-infopath-thick-client-trick-no-temporary-xml-files.aspx

Note this option as outlined in the blog is only available with the thick client and not using InfoPath Form Services.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Badge +7

Hi Tim,

If I give the submitter (originator) only read rights to the SharePoint form library - there is no "New" action and the user can't start the form - to get the new button the user needs to have contribute rights.

With contribute rights the user is able to delete the "temporary form" - and the destinator of the next InfoPath Client Event can't work with his notification mail (link to the form to approve for example) because the form is away.

Your trick works - but unfortunately we like to use the InfoPath Form Services.

I'm sure that in the training labs the examples works with browser forms - and the forms seems to be not in the library or "hidden". Why isn't this possible now - I can't understand the differences.

Badge +7

Hello,

I found a own workaround -

giving the submitter (originator) or everyone permission "Restricted Read", than the person can't open the Form Library over sharepoint itself. Than I create a Form-Service URL for the Workflow Start Form - over this URL its possible to start the form. Submit+Save Form is possible because this works with K2 Service User. In the same way approvals can view and submit the form.

So far so good - but is this effect of the permission a Sharepoint feature or simple a bug?

Badge +7

I can't understand it - but after a reboot of the Sharepoint Server the "Restricted Read" don't work now. I can't open the Form URL.

Someone any ideas - or any other solutions for my problem.

Badge +1

Hi,

We are having this exact same problem, we believe its to do with cached permissions in sharepoint.  As an iisreset will kill the permissions as well.  Just wondering if you have found a decent solution?  As it looks like we will be moving to aspx pages, at least then we will have full control over permissions and the likes.

Chris

Badge +7

Hello,

we found a solution that works for us.

We now use an Audience Target to hide the forms. So all people who must be able to start a workflow get the permission "read". We give them an URL to open a new form. The forms which are stored in the library during the run of a workflow are hidden because we set an audience target, so people can't see the entries in the list.

It's not a secure solution - but it is what we need. If someone gets a link to a form from someone - he/she can open the form - it is the same as if someone makes a print and give it away. This is ok for us. The solution save us for "information hunter"

Anja

Badge

There is an Infopath form viewer available from the following link.

http://www.sharepointblogs.com/marwantarek/archive/2008/02/25/infopath-form-viewer-webpart.aspx

There are installation instructions and example code to use in the web part to connect your form to the web part.

This way you can just restrict permissions on the library, put the webpart on a different page, and point the submit button to the restricted library.