Solved

Users unable to access form

• 21 February 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

Recently, I've started receiving reports from a small subset of users that they're unable to access a recently released Nintex form. These reports came from four different users, which is a very small sample size of the total number of users in the system. Naturally, it's totally possible that there are more users experiencing the issue who just haven't complained. I do know that there are a number of users who have no issues accessing the form.

When these users attempt to create a new list item or edit an existing one, instead of being redirected to the Nintex Form, they're taken to a HTTP 404 page, shown below.

HTTP 404 Screenshot (redacted)

The first three all belonged to the same SharePoint security group, so I assumed I had just failed to give them permission to access the list. After checking, however, I saw that these three users had 'Contribute' permissions at the site collection level. I've been emailing with one of these users and have confirmed that she can see the list that the form is associated with. It's only when she tries to edit an existing list item or create a new one that she experiences the issue.

The fourth user, who is both the Tenant Admin and the primary Site Collection Administrator, has 'Full Control' on the list and experiences the issue as well. 

icon

Best answer by wholland 28 February 2017, 14:41

View original

7 replies

Badge +4

I set up a test account to experiment with some possible workarounds. I then added this test account to the same SharePoint security group as the first three users I mentioned. After confirming that this test user experienced the issue as well (which it does), I found two things that seem to temporarily resolve the issue. 

The first thing I tried was to check another form that is published to a different list on the same site collection. Surprisingly, the form opened just fine for my test user. After doing this, I retried to open the form that has the issue. This time, the form opened up without issue. I retried it several times thereafter without issue. I then closed the 'Incognito' browser session, opened a new 'Incognito' session and tried to access the form in the usual manner which caused me to suffer the issue once again. 

The second thing I tried was to remove all of the query string parameters from the URL in the screen shot above. Using that abbreviated URL, the Nintex App redirected and authorized correctly, finally landing me on the "Nintex Office 365 Forms" default landing page. After that, I could go back to my list and add/edit list items without issue. Again, I closed my incognito window and opened a new one, and again I experienced the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Have you tried creating another security group with the same permissions and adding your test user to that group? I would try that next and then try getting rid of non-inherited permissions until you find the offending permission entry for the group.

Badge +4

I ended up on the phone with Anthony Montoya (awesome Nintex Support guy) yesterday, detailing everything I knew about the issue. Neither of us were sure what, exactly, caused the issue. Anthony recorded our session to pass along to the engineering team, so perhaps they can get to the bottom of it. 

Anthony suggested that I re-trust the Nintex Forms app, which I did. That alone didn't help, nor am I sure it's required in order to fix the issue. What finally did do the trick for me was to republish the form. I didn't change anything about it. Just opened up the form designer and clicked 'publish'. 

Once it was published, everyone who had been experiencing the issue was able to access the form. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Ahhh gotcha. Anthony is a great guy, I am sure he will stay on top of it and get a good outcome for you. Would you mind sharing out the details as they come from the support team?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

Did you have any success at solving this?

Badge +4

I didn't "solve" it in the sense that I never figured out what initially caused the issue. 

I did, however, fix the issue by simply opening up the form in the Nintex Designer and re-publishing it. 

After I did that, I confirmed with every user that had reported the issue that they were able to access the form. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Nothing like dealing with them gremlins in the box