Solved

Update one list using values in other lists

• 14 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

Not sure if this is something that is possible, but thought I would ask anyway

I'm currently working on something for quality assurance, which allows users to log complaints that they receive. I have it set up with one SharePoint list that contains all entries (for QA to use to track all complaints) and then a separate list for each department which contains just their own complaints. I had to set these up as different lists as QA does not want each department to see anyone else's complaints, and as far as I can find there's no way to limit access to views.Ā 

I'm now trying to get it so that when one of the departments updates the status of their complaint, that change is then reflected in the main QA database. I found one solution that works, but it requires a new workflow for each department (currently 11, however could grow)

I was just wondering if there was any way for this to be contained in 1 workflow in the main QA list, that then pulls the data from the department lists. This doesn't have to be constant, and could just be ran periodically if that would be easier

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give!

icon

Best answer by crystalhowat 12 September 2018, 17:09

View original

3 replies

I've managed to find a way to gather all of the information using list queries and then a create list item for each query, however this then creates a single list entry for each query, rather than an item for each item queried

Badge +2

I believe you will need to add the workflow on each list. So that everytime an item is updated, it updates the master QA list also. That workflow should be fairly simple, set it to run automatically every time an item is updated. The workflow probably only needs to contain an "update item" action. However, for ease of portability, you could export the workflow and then just import it into each other list where it is needed.

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the help! I ended up using a site workflow that ran periodically, cleared all entries on the QA list, and then put all the entries back in

I realize now how this was way too complicated, it was just I hadn't realized that workflows under 5 actions don't count towards licenses!

Thank you for the help