Update List Items from Excel

• 3 April 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +6

I must stress this question is for Nintex and SharePoint online. The resources I have found so far focus on On-Prem solutions and I have so far been unable to convert those processes into a Nintex 365 format.

My query is, is it possible/how would I go about updating List Items in "MainList" from a document (Excel) in a document library "PlannerLibrary"?

Currently I update a list called "Planner" with information various contractors send through in Excel. There is a workflow on that list when items are added or modified that will update the Jobs List (main list) with the planner information.

Ideally I would like to upload the Excel file to a document library and have a workflow read this file for "Job Numbers" and update items in the main list where "Excel:Job Numbers = MainList:Job Numbers" - thus eliminating the process of copy/paste from excel to Access to update the planner list (this list could grow greatly and waiting for the sync from Access to SharePoint makes this process 'bad for business')

I must stress this question is for Nintex and SharePoint online. The resources I have found so far focus on On-Prem solutions and I have so far been unable to convert those processes into a Nintex 365 format.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi!

When talking about you can do it, but not directly. You cannot query the regular XLSX or XLS Excel file. Sorry. In Office 365 there is no excel services mechanism that is used for such case in on-prem and both formats are binaries. But once you convert your Excel into CSV file, you can simply get it's contents, store it as a collection and then iterate through that collection to query the information you need.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Allright - this is not possible in Nintex "online" products, but it seems it is feasible with the Microsoft Flow. I haven' tried it yet, but there is a set of actions to work with the Excel file:

So you can try to simply call a Flow workflow out of your Nintex workflow, and then the Flow will do the rest.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I wrote a blog post about it:  

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +10

Hi Tomasz,

Could you point out where this is described for onprem?

Best regards

mai-kel

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is the action I'm talking about: http://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2016/current/#sp2016/Workflow/ActionsCore/QueryExcelServices.htm?Highlight=excel