cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information

Jump to solution

Hi,

I encountered the error "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information"

I also when through earlier posts with same error but here case is bit different. I have listed points below -:

a>There is "Commit Pending Changes " after Set Field value option.

b>Also the Initiator has correct set of Permissions

c>The field of which value is being set is Single Line of Text

d>The workflow threw error at a particular point of time but then is working fine now.

What could have been the case as to why the workflow was not able to assign value at that particular moment?

Thanks & Regards,

Arvind

14 Replies
purkayak
Nintex Newbie

Re: The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information

Jump to solution

Hi Arvind,

I am experiencing the same issue. Points a, b and d. My workflow is setting the value of a multiple line of text field. I'm wondering if it is a Nintex bug.

Nintex workflow 2010

Version: 2.4.7.0

Regards,

Korak

shrinivasnaik
Nintex Newbie

Re: The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am having the same issue, did we get around this?

regards,

Shrini

shrinivasnaik
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am having the same issue, did we get around this?

regards,

Shrini

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Can someone or another workflow edit item while workflow is running? I say it because i had this error in these cases.

0 Kudos
shrinivasnaik
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Anton,

In my case I found the solution. It was more about the datatype the column was supposed to be updating was not correct. Lookup column value. It needed to be updated with the ID of the lookup column rather than the title.

Regards,

Shrini

0 Kudos
ddean
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Wrap the actions in an app step then try

0 Kudos
carla1020
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I'm curious...what do you mean wrap the action in an app step?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Oh, this is easy. App Step is just another action available in Nintex:

However if you haven't used it before, when entering it's configuration, you may face the following message:

Actions contained within an App Step action inherit elevated permissions.

The required feature is active and App Step is available for use.

To resolve it you must open "Site Settings" --> "Manage site features" and activate "Workflows can use app permissions" feature:

Regards,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

carla1020
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thank you Tomasz!  We are using Nintex on prem not O365.  This explains why I didn't see that action.