Technical design documents for Nintex Workflows and Forms

• 15 August 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +9

Hi

As part of the handover, I am in the process of documenting a number of workflows I have built for a client. Now, I wondered if there is some ( community ): on premise or cloud based document templates / samples out there so that will ensure  I hit  correct level of detail and covers the key aspects of functionality. If is too verbose it will send the reader to sleep sad.png and if it is too sparse, it won't hold any value.

Unfortunately,  Action Sets were not around when I built them so these would be great breaking down the logical sections of the design.

Anyway , I started to make a list of want to cover but feel free to add or hopefully, reference some road tested templates ( I hate designing wheels!)

• Design objectives
  • Why a state machine or sequential
  • List ,Libraries and views 
  • key aspects for Form validation or presentation rules
  • Suggested enhancements
  • Administration steps
  • UDA or Web Service call functionality 
  • Status Values
  • Exception handling 
  • backup / 

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Check out this thread: https://community.nintex.com/thread/3324#11178 

There's some really good discussion about the best ways to document workflows.

Badge +9

Thanks for the link I had only see the part of one of the related discussions https://community.nintex.com/community/build-your-own/blog/2015/06/08/document-your-workflow-ideas-and-tips-from-the-nintex-community

I made the mistake of documenting the workflow with a psuedo descriptive language and it has taken ages. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yeah, I wish that in 365 we had the "comments" type field that On-Prem has, but we can only change the label of the action which limits us a bit more. We also don't have the fancy "print workflow" stuff. So I end up going the Snagit Route as well, sometimes I use Visio. Overall, I haven't found a particularly exceptional way to handle it!

Badge +9

Yep , labelling Office 365 Actions takes ages and I often have to correct the spelling .  Action Sets would help as these are easier to paste into the document and annotate.  There should be a documented notes  (.md format ) built into the workflow IMHO as these would persist when the workflow is exported. 

Eric mentions in a post I have seen,  using Excel to capture Assign Task properties as these would need to be agreed with the client during the requirements phase,.

I guess it's a combination of Snagit, Visio , Excel and coffee!