Solved

Task Process, Wait for completion and sending reminder emails

I have a site workflow with a "start a task process" action. The task is sent to all employees in batches of 50 employees (I am calling the site workflow multiple times with a list of 50 persons each time). They receive a link to a document, and they need to "approve" they have read the document. I have set it up to not wait for task completion, to be able to call the workflow multiple times. But I would also like to send reminder emails, which I can't when I am not waiting for task completion. Has anyone had the same challenge? How would it perform if I waited for task completion (thus enabling reminder emails)? Can I call the same site workflow multiple times, if the previous flow did not yet complete. (it could take weeks before everyone has completed their tasks!)

Ā 

icon

Best answer by burked 28 May 2019, 23:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi tlyngesen, 

You can have multiple instances of the same Site Workflow running at the same time, so that should be fine to update the workflow to allow for reminders to be sent. If you were running the task workflows using a list workflow against a specific list item, you would not be able to have multiple instances of the same workflow running. Hope this clears it up!

Badge +17

@tlyngesen as Dan stated you can have multiple workflows running. Another way to look at this that may help offload the processing is to have a workflow at the item level that is used for the review and approval.

Use the site workflow to find out which items need to be reviewed, and then create a loop for those items. In the loop, you can either call a site workflow that assigns a task to the approver or start the workflow at the item level to assign the task to the approver.

Either way works, and you can then use reminders and everything as needed in the smaller approval workflow because it will wait for that one person to respond, but other items will not be dependent on that.

Thank you for adding this. Actually I am using the site workflow as a component workflow, that handles all the communication. I have a few workflows on different lists that then calls this component workflow.