Solved

Start workflow (2) within another workflow (1) on a created item from workflow (1)

• 27 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello ,

I want the following :

• I start a workflow (1) on an item.
  • In that workflow (1) I create a new item in the same list (create or copy item)
  • I retrieve the newitem id with QUERY LIST and store the id in a variable
  • Now, I want to start a workflow (2) from the base workflow (1) but I need to start that workflow on the new created item (newitemid)
    • You could say, create a workflow that automatically starts on "the creation of an item"
      • but I need to pass information (Store data and retrieve data) between workflow (2) and workflow (1)
      • and I need to wait in workflow (1) until workflow (2) has ended.
  • Ideas ? ;-)
icon

Best answer by jpmhuls 31 July 2018, 13:27

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Tom,

You should be able to do this by saving workflow(2) as a component workflow, then triggering from workflow(1). Workflow(2) will then accept input variables from workflow 1 and will be able to push variables back (output variables) to workflow(1) after completion. 

The link below should provide some additional information around this functionality.

Blog Post Regarding Component Workflows

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Just a minor improvement suggestion. You mention that you use a Query List to get the new (copy) item's id. If all is well the Create List Item action has an option to Output as ID into a workflow variable.....

Badge +1

Hello Jean-Pierre,

Thanks for the Tip ! Strange however that the create item has this feature you mentioned and copy item does not.

Regards,

Tom.

Badge +1

Hello Dan,

Tx for the suggestion !

I guess I have bad luck to be working with Nintex "on premise" ? I do not get the checkbox "component workflow"

Kind regards,

Tom.

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Indeed, annoying isn't it. However there's a (really old) User Voice requesting exactly this functionality:

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/229405-1-nintex-workflow-for-sharepoint/suggestions/5925002-a-copy-list-item-action-that-returns-the-new-ite

So please add you voice as well. Maybe it will be added some time soon

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Tom,

No worries on being on-prem. In that case, you can create the child workflow as a UDA instead.  Jean-Pierre Huls' recommendation around outputting the Item ID from the create Item action would be helpful in any scenario where you're wanting to perform these steps.