Solved

Setting a multi value List lookup to single value breaks workflow

Badge +9

Hi

Sometimes, you just can't make stuff up!

On Friday, I successfully demoed to the team my latest version of my Request Form and supporting Workflow.   The form as has couple of List Lookups which allow the requester to select multiple names, filtered by the previous List Lookup selection. Assuming I get the correct Regex Expression Action syntax, I can extract each name from the second List Lookup and Assign Tasks or send and send emails. I connect the ID of the second Lookup List to a List item Text Column which stores the string  value this in this format:

3;Daniel Westerdale;#7;Donald Duck

On Tuesday my client decided they wanted both the List Lookups to be single value  select and straight way my workflow starting terminating prematurely angry.png.  Further investigation seems to suggest some sort of flaw in the way a single select List lookup passes its value to connected Text List column. Indeed, It seems to truncate the string so it only stores the number prefix. Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Form showing the selected name for the dropdown.png

In my Workflow history I log my Text List Column but this time I don't store the full string just the  number prefix, and this is before I can apply any RegEx!!!!!!!!!!!!

Workflow History just showing the number prefix.png

I simply didn’t see this issue when the same List Lookup allowed multiple values.  A Show Stopper I think

Daniel

icon

Best answer by westerdaled 9 June 2016, 13:02

View original

2 replies

Badge +9

Hi all

I found a workaround

1. If you drag a List Lookup onto a form and allow multi value select then you can  Id Connect: a Text column in your List  and allow the your workflow to RegEx parse this Text column it as desired.
  2. If you drag a List Lookup on a Form and have the default single value select then you cannot Id Connect directly to a Text column in your List; as all you get is a numeric value e.g.  "7" instead of   "#7;Donald Duck" .  Instead drag a Calculated Value control on to your form whose formula is your List Lookup Named control.  You also need to ID Connect your Calculated Value control to your desired Text column in your List  . Thereafter allow workflow to RegEx parse this Text column it as desired..

As I said earlier, you just can't make this up !!!!!!

Note, both Lookup Lists are enclosed in separate panels.

Daniel

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Daniel,

I just stumbled across your post.  There is a better way to do this with the parseLookup function.  Here's a quick reference to it.

Cheers,

Chris