Solved

Send a reminder to the assignee's manager

Hi, I would like to ask your help regarding a Nintex workflow issue. We use Nintex for tracking actions @ Sharepoint. To be able to follow up and send reminder e-mails before and after the deadline we would like to add the assignee's Manager to the recipients as well. I know it's possible to send an e-mail notification to the initiator's Manager by choosing this option from Workflow context, but is it possible to send a mail to the assignee's Manager instead?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by TomaszPoszytek 13 March 2017, 15:08

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi!

You can use the query user profile‌ action (http://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/Actions/Nintex.Workflow.QueryUserProfile.htm%3FTocPa… ) to get assignee's manager. Look for the manager‌ attribute (Default user profile property mappings in SharePoint Server 2013).

Regards,

Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

Thank you for the quick reply. Is there any detailed guide about this function? Because I don't know exactly what should be written for example by username, password, etc..

Thank you in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well.... the most descriptive is the one in documentation, under the link I provided you. You can as well search the community. But basically its really simple. You can even put values and then run the workflow to see if they work for you

I don't think this http://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/Actions/Nintex.Workflow.QueryUserProfile.htm%3FTocPa…  description requires really more assist  By user you just put user login or email (so something using what SharePoint people picker field can find the proper user object), then you just adds properties from the matching user profiles you want to get back in return. You are looking for "Manager" property.

In advanced you can (but mustn't ) provide credentials of the account that has rights access user profile data, but as long as this is available to everyone (the "manager" property is), even a regular user with "Read" only permissions should be able to execute the action.

Regards,

Tomasz

Unfortunately in the current version I see the following, which means that it's not only in the advanced part. So if I understand it right I should provide the people's username and password to be able to do this action... If not please let me know how

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That makes it clearer now  You posted your question in the wrong forum, for on premise solutions, not O365.

For that purpose please visit this documentation: Office 365 Query User Profile 

You have to provide e-mail address of the user whose profile you want to query. Then email and password of the user who has permissions to query the profile (there is no service account, you must provide credentials manually). Then you have to type in the property. In this situation it is simply: Manager

Regards,

Tomasz

I'm really sorry I was careless... And thank you  

One last question: If I give my credentials, will the system provide datas every time or only when I'm initiating the workflow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No problem, you welcome. I moved it to the right place

What do you mean by "providing the data"? When will it query user profile? It will do it once the action is executed. So you can put logic before, then execute the "query" action, and then use the action's outcome in another actions. It's a sequence.

Regards,

Tomasz

I just wanted to explore if only the person whose credentials are given can perform the action or not. But I guess no. I'm not in my top form today  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, the "office 365" actions are always executed in person of the user whose credentials are provided. Even if you put it inside the "App Step" still it will be that "provided" user

Regards,

Tomasz

P.S.

If you find my answers helpful and I managed to solve you issue, please mark one of them as "Correct" so that other users will know there is a solution here  Thanks!

Thank you very much for your help!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Tibor

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You welcome! Good luck with "nintexing"

Regards,

Tomasz