How to move workflow from bottom to top

• 16 February 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +6

I have Nintex 2013 workflow with 8 approvers. Now, is there any way where workflow stage is on 5th approver and 5th approver need to get some inputs from previous approver (4th approver) and then 4th approver approve/reject and then follow with 5th,6th...aprovers ?

I am sure state machine would fit in this scenerio. However, is there any better alternatives to do this?

5 replies

Badge +9

state machine is perfect for such scenario.

Badge +7

Here's a great reference from Emily Billing​ : Using State Machine Workflows

Badge +6

Thanks Manfred. However, my (sequential) workflow is huge and now client asking to have flexibility to get feedback from previous approver. Is there any alternative apart from state machine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can't think of a better solution than a state machine. The alternatives would require duplication of actions and unnecessary conditional logic to keep the process going in a waterfall format. The only other method I can think of is to break apart tasks sections into additional workflows so you can repeat a step by calling that separated workflow multiple times. But again, that would be inefficient and unnecessary using a state machine.

State Machines are sequential. It just doesn't have to be determine what that sequence is before the workflow starts.

If you are concerned about the size of the workflow and its rebuild effort, you can create a second workflow on the list. First save the original workflow as a template or snippet. Create a new workflow based on that template and start fitting it into a State Machine using the drag and drop. Keep saving until you are ready to test and use manual start for testing. When it goes live you can then stop the initiation of the original one. Keep it around for awhile and eventually delete it.

Badge +6

Sure Andrew. As per you suggestions, I too feel State machine is better solution. Thank you so much.