workflow questions

Badge +1

good day,

is there a way to determine if an ipc event has finished running? the scenario is im running 2 ipc events which may not finish at the same time. the next activty should be done only if the 2 ipcs is finished.

are there rules that i can use to achieve this?

thanks in advance

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi k2omg

I am assuming that you have 2 activities that are running in parallel, that each activity is calling a separate IPC event (i.e. calling a different process/workflow) and that when both activities are finished you are moving to the same next activity. I am also assuming you are calling both IPC events synchronously.

What I would do is create 2 process level boolean data fields (IPC1, IPC2) set by default to false. I would then add a data event to the end of both activities with the IPC events. In these data events I would set the respective data field (e.g. IPC1 for the first IPC event) to true. I would then add a preceding rule to the next activity that checks that the value of both these data fields is true. This way the next activity will start only when both preceding activities are complete.

This is a fairly standard pattern for situations where you have parallel activities that need to be joined when all are complete.

Badge +1

@andrew_blinco

thanks. i just did what you have suggested. I've attached a sketch of my workflow. another question is, if ipc1 finishes before ipc2, will the empty event activity wait for ipc2 to finish or it will continue to the last activty

thanks

11682i61B14A1B4C4E49F5.png
Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi k2omg

If configured as I suggested the empty event won't start until  both boolean fields evaluate to true.

To set the preceding rule you need to open the properties (right click the activity and select properties) of the empty activity and select the "Preceding Rule" page.  Configure the rules such that IPC1 = true AND IPC2 = true.

When the first IPC finishes, the workflow will move to the empty activity, but as the preceding rule will fail it will not start. When the second IPC finishes the workflow will again move to the empty activity, but this time the preceding rule will pass and the activity will start (and the workflow will continue as required).

You don't really need to use an empty activity, you can set the preceding rule on the next activity that you want go to.

Badge +1

@andrew_blinco

alright thanks alot =]