Solved

Pause and resume workflow

• 13 September 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

I was given a requirement by a stakeholder to create an approval process with 3 outcomes: Approve, Reject and On Hold.

The purpose of "On hold" is to give the approver the option of pausing the workflow in order to gather information.  He will enter comments to explain why which will be logged in the workflow history.  Once the approver has gathered their information, they can resume the workflow and choose approver or reject outcomes.

I am not sure how to approach this scenario, please help.

icon

Best answer by TomaszPoszytek 13 September 2017, 20:38

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can achieve it by adding two submit buttons (Hold and Release), each bind to a different yes/no column in your SharePoint list. Once the button is clicked it has to set the value of a related field to Yes. 

Then you need to create a state machine, so that your workflow will go into a different state based on the clicked button. So if user clicks "Hold" then it should go to a related state where the workflow should pause and wait for the second yes/no field to be equal Yes (so that a user clicked "Release").

It you would like to achieve it only using tasks, not actions in the form, then this is also achievable but needs different approach (like a different outcome etc...)

I would recommend the first approach.

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +4

Thank you for your feedback Tomasz, I ended up getting it to work using tasks and adding an "On Hold" outcome.
Once selected the state would be changed to pending.  Once the user is ready to resume, he can open his workflow task item and select approve or reject.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, so you are just reassigning a task. If that works for you I'm glad I could have helped you

Please mark yours or mine answer as correct if you feel your question has been answered.

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +4

For sure.  I am pretty new to the board.  How do I mark a post as answered?  I don't see the action.  I just see branch and report abuse in the Actions menu.  For the actions on the lower right, I just see helpful, like and reply actions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Simply click the "Mark correct" button on the right of the chosen answer:

Regards,

Tomasz