Nintex Workflow for Office 365 Error - "The workflow instance was too large to persist"

• 10 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I've got a Nintex Workflow for Office 365 list workflow that has been running successfully for several months.  The workflow has not been updated since December 2016.  The workflow only has 37 actions and is only 74 KB in size when exported.

Recently, the workflow began suspending every time it runs.  Now I'm seeing the following error message below every time it runs and suspends:

"RequestorId: ########-####-####-0000-000000000000. Details: The workflow instance was too large to persist (over 7448 kilobytes uncompressed, over 5242 kilobytes compressed). The maximum persistable workflow instance size is 15360 kilobytes uncompressed and 5120 kilobytes compressed."

Has anyone else run across this issue?  Any troubleshooting feedback is appreciated.

5 replies

Badge +6

Not yet. Thanks for flagging it.

Others have seen it. There's little you can change in O365, but on prem you can configure the limit.

https://raymondlittle.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/sharepoint-2013-workflow-instance-size-error/

This article series should also be helpful

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sharepointdevelopersupport/2013/03/11/sharepoint-workflow-architecture-part-1/

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

True. There is nothing you can change about the thresholds in O365 as that would have an impact on the whole tenancy server. I'm surprised that you were able to publish the workflow, because you should've receive an error during that process and be unable to use it, but...

Anyway - the message means, you should rethink your workflow and to try to split it into smaller ones, calling each other with "Run a workflow" action.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Eric,

That is odd that it is just now falling over after several months of running. Do you know if the workflow has been modified in any way recently? Would you be willing to share an export of the workflow with me via message? I am particularly interested in this for rather selfish reasons (new version of Workflow Analyzer for O365) however, I think we can probably sort this issue out at the same time.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi all!

I recently faced the same issue. Do you think this:  is also valid for your case? Do you use InfoPath Forms with the Form Libraries in your workflow?

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

‌ have you solved your issue? Did my suggestions help you?

Regards,

Tomasz