Office 365 bulk approval for Workflow tasks

• 14 December 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge +9

Hi Folks, 

Client have multiple tasks in SharePoint OOTB Workflow Task list for different workflows and each workflow has its different business logic using Nintex workflows. Client requested to have bulk approval for the task list.

1. Do we have My Workflow Tasks available on SharePoint Online? SharePoint On-Premises do have this web part. 
  2. I am developing SharePoint Add-In (Visual Studio 2015) try to simulate bulk approval for OOTB Workflow Task list as shown: 

a. Created custom action called “Bulk Approval”. Uses selected the tasks.
    b. User clicks on “Bulk Approval” button as shown above.
    c. A dialog box shows.
    d. Prompts used that he has selected to the tasks.

3. I am just trying to set the Nintex workflows statues (In Progress, Accepted, Rejected) to Approved or Rejected for all the document libraries/custom lists and loop through all document libraries/custom lists that is using Nintex workflows using my custom code.

For e.g. We have travel request, leave request lists for SharePoint online demo sites. I will set the Nintex workflows statues depending on user asked to bulk approval (step 2) Approve or Reject button in the pop up for the multiple tasks.

4. The main concern is that I will be NOT knowing the status of those Nintex workflows and their statuses for each document library or custom list because I am just setting the workflow statuses on each document library/custom list and Workflow Task lists.

5. Can some advice use Nintex workflows or any web service I can call to get Nintex workflow and set the status to Approved or Rejected status to meet this requirement?

OR 

checking Nintex Workflow Status NOT REQUIRED as Workflow Status will automatically reflect the OUTCOME (Approve, Reject)??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 reply

Badge +9

Vadim Tabakman

Background Info:

1. Client have multiple Nintex forms that is associated Nintex workflows. 
  1.  They have a custom list which is displayed to users as list view. 

2. What they want to achieve is that users should have an option where they can select bulk Nintex forms by clicking on the “Bulk Approval" as shown: 

3. As a mock up, I had simulated the similar approach in my VM, using “Workflow Tasks” list with users to approve the tasks as shown:

1. User selects the tasks.
    2. On ribbon control, clicks on “Bulk Approval
    3. Next, click on “Approve” button.
    4. A prompt for user to select the number of tasks.
    5. “Related Content” is the document library (Department) which is associated with the Nintex workflow.
  4. Once he clicks on the OK button, my custom code set the Status to Completed, % Complete to 100% and Outcome as Approved as shown below:

Workflow Is attached to the Department list , I have not coded for the this Department list and set the workflow status to Completed which I can do at later stage.

MAIN QUESTION: 

I am setting Workflows tasks statues, % complete and Outcome in my custom code using SharePoint lists. However, I won’t be knowing the Nintex workflow Status.

For e.g.

If I click on Department list for IT item, and click in “In Progress” manually, and Approve the task. In the Workflow Progress, I can see the Workflow Status to be Completed as shown:

Now, if I do the custom code for Department list for Sales item, set the workflow status from In Progress to Completed, I won’t be knowing the Nintex Workflow Status and it the workflow instance might show Running status as shown:

Please let me know, if this any technique to find out the Nintex workflow status when we are doing a custom code such as this use case and whether it’s feasible.

Any Web Service I can call do achieve this? http://{server}/{site}/_vti_bin/NintexWorkflow/workflow.asmx  

Thanks. Vadim TabakmanFranck CornuFernando Hunth‌ 

Wishing everyone Merry X-mas!!!