Solved

Office 365 Create List Item issue to set a Task's item Title / Task Name

• 3 February 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

We are having an issue with a workflow action that creates an item in a different list using "Office 365 Create List Item".

It works fine with other list and content type, but this one hangs, asking to fill in the value "Title(Title)" which is already set in the action.

set_Title.png

Why it seems fails ?

- because of the "two" name for Title in Task Content type.

The Content Type in use is inherited from the default OOB: "Task"

In the list column the Title column shows as Title but in the Content Type it changes its display name to read "Task Name" (default OOB behaviour)

task_name.png

Which means that when the workflow runs, it tries to set a value to [Title] form value ‍{Current Item:Title}‍ and returns

Value for required field 'Title(Text)' must be specified;

I also tried to set the "Task Name" but it also tells me Title(Text) must be specified.

Help  !

how to set a Task item in target task list ?

thank you in advance.

François.

icon

Best answer by sharepointfranc 8 February 2016, 14:52

View original

3 replies

Badge +9

Maybe one suggestion

Which field name is displayed at the end of the url when you click the Task Name column in the List setting?

...&Field=

Regards,

Christophe

Badge +7

yes, I check as well cause it seems too surreal, but it is definitely "Field=Title" (both when the site column shows Title  and Task Name)

To make simple to understand :

- take any Office 365 Tasks list, even a Workflow Tasks list

- go to List Settings

- confirm the column Title is showing (as expected)

- click the list content type "Task" : locate Title --> still showing likewise

- now click the site content type "Task", parent of that list content type of same name

- locate Title : it's now showing as "Task Name"

- click on it: its URL (system name) is still  "Title" ..

bummer right ?

I never actually put my attention to it before but must have always been here for years, since apparently it's a standard behaviour that some list change the Title column.

See link "A Task list's "Task Name" column is internally named "Title"."

SharePoint Search Tip: Search for "title" where there is no "title"! | Mike Smith's Tech Training Notes  SharePoint, Pow…

Badge +7

update on the issues we are having to use the "Office 365 Create Item" action,

the aim again is to take the current item values and create an item in a distant list with the values being passed in the Action, such as this screenshot

O365_Create_List_Item.png

Trying to find a workaround to Set the title (or Task Name) field in the Target list (when the list if Task type), we now fond the following behaviour:

- If Title in target list is Mandatory = workflow fails and complains that "Value for required field 'Title(Text)' must be specified;"

- If Title in target list is NOT mandatory = workflow runs thru the end and .. surprise: the value Title is actually being set correctly.

Conclusion = It seems that the Office 365 Create Item does the job correctly IF the target item field is not mandatory, it behaves almost as if

1) it creates the item with Title without value

2) then assign the value in the field.

Strange strange ....