Nintex Tasks

• 18 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

We are using Nintex Online for Office 365. 

I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction on the best way to restrict access to the items in the task list. There will be sensitive data in some of the tasks so I would like only a subset of users to be able to see some of these tasks. I am aware of the limitations, but I was hoping that someone would have a workaround to apply item level permissions on tasks.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @louise_rh ,

You could create a workflow on the Workflow Task list that runs on item creation. In this workflow you could use the Update Item Permissions action(https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Designer/Actions/O365UpdateItemPermissions.htm) to set the permissions of the task item. Let me know if you have any questions.

Badge +2
Great idea. How did I not think of that :)
Thank you
Badge +2

@leighburke have you achieved this before? I have created a workflow to start when a new item is created but it doesn't trigger when the new task is created.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @louise_rh,

Yes, I have a working example on my test site. Did you add any conditions to the start event? Does the workflow run if you trigger it manually on the task?

Badge +2

@leighburke  it runs when I trigger the workflow manually but not when the task is created via the workflow. There are no conditions. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@louise_rh Looks like I was incorrect on this one, mine wasn't working as expected. This is due to a limitation of workflows not being able to trigger other workflows on item creation in SharePoint on o365(https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-Office-365/Workflow-not-Starting-on-ItemCreated/td-p/7228/page/2). An option that does work is adding the update item permission in  a parallel block, you will just need to add a small pause and make sure the task has a unique value you can filter by.