Cascading dropdown in editable list view not working

• 9 February 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +9

HI,

I am looking for your valuable suggestion for one of the requirements.

I have two views.

1. Document view- it has 'Company' dropdown list control which has Stored Procedure smartobject as datasource. It pulls the company list from the company table.

2. Editable List view- it has 'CompanySegment' dropdown list control, which is also tied to Stored Procedure smartobject as datasource. It's value depends on the company value selected from the compnay dropdown list.

When I add a new row in the list view, companysegment pulls the values if the value of the company dropdown is empty or null but it does not pull values based on the selected company value. Please refer to the attached file.

Please help. Thank you.

12627i7B9CCB64347D93EF.jpg

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Dear ,

As  i know , applying cascading / filtering according another control's value applies if 2 controls are on the same view ,

although , there is another way u should give a try and hope it helps u solve it ,

apply a form level rule ,

"when a control on the view executes an event" for ur Document view and Company DDL  ,

if it wasnt empty , then

transfer the ID from company DDL to a hidden data label in the editable list ,

And on the editable list ,

create an event "when the data label is changed"

then

populate the CompanySegment DDL with data , and configure it , and use the data label "which is the id from the first DDL" as filter/input field for populating the second DDL .

Hope it helps!

Regards.

Badge +9

Hi Ahmand,

Thank you so much for your help. I was wondering why the cascading feature does not work in two different views when it works perfectly fine within the same view. Learnt something new in the smartform design. This insight is of great help to others to who design smartform with lots of views and controls are dependent on other values from different views.

BTW you mentioned anout having a data-label to pass values from one view to other view, I am wondering if same ca be achieved through form level parameter, if it makes sense. Just to know the usability of the parameter in the context of smartform. Any idea ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Dear ,

If u mean passing a value from one form to another , and in this same scenario , 

yes its possible , u could send the value when u navigate to another form , using parameters ,

after u initiate the second form , u will need to repopulate the DDL , and configure its filteration using the value u passed from the first form .

Hope this helps!

Regards.