Solved

Nintex Form - List Lookup to populate more fields

• 15 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

I inserted a List Lookup control on my Nintex Form (Office 365) so the user (a manager) can select an employee name & employee ID.  The name & ID come from a SharePoint list which includes the manager name (which is how the List Lookup filters to get only the manager's employees) and many other fields like Job Title and Department.  The List Lookup has the "Text connected to" set to a list column of single text (call it EmployeeNameAndID).  The "ID connected to" is not connected because in this case the ID from that list is meaningless.

I want the lookup to populate a lot of fields / list columns, but the control only allows for 1.  To get around this, I created 2 "calculated" columns in the SharePoint list that will split the value of EmployeeNameID and results in list columns for EmployeeName and EmployeeID.

It works okay, but now I also want Employee Job Title and Employee Department, and maybe more later on.  It will start to get complicated trying to put all that into 1 text column and using calculated columns to extract each value.

Before I dive into that, is there a better way?  Any suggestions?

To summarize, the user (a manager) opens a new form, uses a drop-down (List Lookup) control to select an employee, and I want at least 4 values auto-populated based on the selection (the values are all found on an employee list).

No, I cannot use User Profiles because not every employee has a user profile.

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 16 August 2019, 01:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,
I think your current method of using Calculated Value controls to lookup the rest of the values would be the only way to acheive this solution.
Badge +8
I was working on that and I ran into some problems and complications. I tried something else. Previously I had set 2 values in the Nintex Workflow, but it was taking a long time (adding 1 to 2 minutes to the total time). I discovered that I could get the values much faster by replacing the "Office 365 Query List" with "Update List Item" and using "List Lookup" within that, and setting workflow variables to use in my Generate Document action. By speeding that up, I may not have to have it populated when the form is filled out. Total time between filling out Nintex Form and receiving email from Adobe Sign went from 5 minutes down to 2 minutes 15 seconds. I am going to post some tips on how to optimize the Generate Document action.
Badge +8
Here are some other tips for optimizing the performance of Nintex Workflow for Office 365.

Create a dedicated Nintex Workflow History List, and use that instead of the default History List.

See https://community.nintex.com/t5/How-To-s/Improving-Performance-with-Dedicated-Nintex-Workflow-History/ta-p/86769

Instead of using "Office 365 Query List" action, use "Update List Item" action and "List Lookup" within that action.

Set workflow variables BEFORE using Generate Document action, rather than querying for that data within the Word template in the Generate Document action.

Within the Word template in the Generate Document action, use smaller, more universal fonts so the PDF will not have to store custom font images.