NWF O365 Cloud based: steps in a site workflow that sends an email to users with overdue items? Bonus: the email lists the overdue items with hyperlinks?

• 18 April 2017
  • 4 replies

I would very much appreciate any help, I have been working on this for weeks but can only find online examples for sharepoint 2010. It doesn't help that I am not familiar with building collections.

I currently have a workflow running on each list item when it is created or modified. If the item isn't updated within a certain timeframe, the workflow starts sending the user listed in one of the columns a weekly reminder with a link to the item.

I am trying to build a site workflow for my sharepoint site that would send a single reminder to each user if they have overdue items, but have been unsuccessful. If that email listed the overdue items with hyperlinks as it currently does for the single item, even better. The issue is that previously users would only get a few emails, but now we have users that would have upwards of 50 items and that is a LOT of emails.

I have attached the list workflow that I have been using successfully.

4 replies

Badge +9

Hi Robin Angell‌,

Create a site workflow with the below actions.

1. Calculated Date action, setting as 7 days older from today's date.
  2. Query List action, give a list name and use filter condition like below then select field ID alone.   
  3. "For each" action select target collection as "colTesttem" and store result in as "lidTestProjectItemId".
  4. Create workflow variable "dtModifiedDate" of type "Date and Time" and use Set variable action as below.
  5. Use the previous step for as many fields you want from the list such as User Name etc.
  6. Create workflow variable "txtEditUrl" of type "Single line of text" and set value as <a href=http://listurl/EditForm.aspx?ID=lidListItem>Item Id</a>. Replace list url and lidListItem
  7. Then use "Send notification" action and insert item id url and send separate email to each user.

Thanks,

Lakshmi Narayana C

Hi Lakshmi Narayana C‌,

I was thrilled to see your thorough answer today. I was able to assemble the steps, but cannot get this to work. I get a suspended workflow with an error as follows:

RequestorId: 3d3f38a1-346d-b98f-0000-000000000000. Details: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the workflow instance. Exception details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: String at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal) at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) at Microsoft.Activities.Expressions.ParseNumber`1.Execute(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.CodeActivity`1.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager) at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation) Exception from activity ParseNumber<Int32> ToString DynamicActivity<Guid> DynamicActivity<DateTime> Set Variable Set Workflow Variable ChildActivityStep Sequence ForEachKeyValuePairStep ForEachSequence If DynamicValue Is Not Empty And Number of Items Greater Than 0 For Each Sequence Flowchart Test Environment workflow.WorkflowXaml_c14f9b7d_ecba_49c5_81e1_b0d1471291d2

I tried to remove the date calculation step, since mine appeared like this:

But I get the same error as above.

I wonder if the problem is with my query (see below)?

I will try to go to the original post and attach the site workflow I made based on your instructions.

Would this workflow generate a single item with many list urls, or would I need to use build string to list all of the items for one user somehow?

Badge +9

Hi Robin Angell‌,

I had even simplified the process for you (See my previous reply), follow the steps and let me know if it is working for you.

Thanks,

Lakshmi Narayana C

Hi Lakshmi Narayana C
I was unable to get this solution to work, but ended up using the Send Grouped Notification Site Workflow for O365 developed by Giacomo Gelosi. As several of the steps seem similar, I am sure my lack of expertise was the major contributing factor to not getting this working. My version of Nintex site workflows does not seem to have some of the functionalities you are using, such as calculated date. I wanted to thank you again for your help, and I am sure having this all posted will help others with my issue.

Thank you so much,

Robin