Start Process after Editing Contacts

• 5 June 2006
  • 1 reply

Badge +3
Hi guys,

I'm after some advice for the best way to achieve something that is completely baffling me. I'll try to explain the problem as clearly as I can...

I have an InfoPath process that is currently working fine. Forms are filled in, authorisation given etc. Once the final OK is given, a new workspace is created with a unique name for that process. All attachments from the InfoPath form are uploaded to a doc library within this workspace. A contact specified in the InfoPath form is also uploaded to the Contacts list within the workspace. At the same time, the workspace url is added to a list of links in the main site. This list is shown on the homepage so all users can access the new workspaces easily. The list of links has a look up field containing the name of the contact mentioined earlier. We have a filter on the list to only show worklists for the logged on User. This is all working ok!

Our problem is, the contact can be edited at a later date through the contacts list within a workspace. Obviously this wont be reflected in the look up feild of the list on the parent site.

Is there any way to get the look up field of the list on the parent site updated when the contact on a child workspace is edited? I was thinking along the lines of kicking off a process on Edit within the contacts list which will then handle updating the list item on the Parent site. I'm not sure if this is viable or not (cant see how to kick off the process) or if there is a better/simpler way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
P

1 reply

Badge +4
K2 has a way to capture events in sps - but only the ones associated with a document library (insert, copy, move, etc...) But there is nothing "k2 related" that will listen for an edit on a contact list. I would assume however that you could find a way to listen for that event - using sharepoint documentaion (you could study the way k2 does it for a doc lib to get some ideas). Once you have captured that event and the value that was updated - you could then definitely use some k2 rom code to go into the k2 datafield and update the value.