Solved

Multiline text box resize in display mode?

• 21 September 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

In view mode, multiline text fields don't resize depending on how much (if any) text was entered into the control when the form was filled out.

is there any way to resize the control in display mode? I have 'resize at runtime' enabled but this doesn't seem to impact it. I have also tried using a calculated value instead, and setting it to the value of the multiline text field and displaying it in display form only, but then if I have multiple lines the calculated value doesn't expand down more than 1 'row' so ends up overlapping the controls below it (doh!).

Default behavior:

121159_pastedImage_0.png

As you can see it makes the form look a bit untidy with big gaps, especially on other tabs where I have a mixture of field types.

Any ideas, am I missing some easy setting to stop this? Or something else to force the calculated value control to expand down properly automatically when it has more than one row of text?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by eharris04 16 December 2015, 17:02

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Is your field bigger than the content and you'd like to reduce its size ?

Badge +17

Stefanie,

The control does have a resize function, but that usually works with more text than what you set the control size to.  This doens't work the opposite where it shrinks if no text or little text is added.  You may be able to use javascript for that, but I would say that is overkill.  Generally you can shrink the size of the control and if the user types in more text than is allotted for, it would add a scroll bar to the field.

Again this isn't 100% great, but should help you plan how you want your form to look and interact.