Solved

Minimum permissions required for the credentials used in a call web service action

• 8 December 2017
  • 2 replies

I am working in a SharePoint 2016 environment with Nintex 2016. I have credentials for an account with full control that are being used in a web service call but get 401 UNAUTHORIZED as the response. What is the minimum permission level required for the credentials to be able to run a web service call? Are there different permission levels required for different web service calls? 

icon

Best answer by cdsommerfield 11 December 2017, 16:42

View original

2 replies

Badge +9

I think it really depends what you're trying to do. For the most part, I would say the user would need to be at least a Site Collection Admin; but, if you're trying to use a web service to say, update user profile service, then that user would need to be added to the web application as an administrator.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Iris Scholten‌ - 

As Chadd Sommerfield‌ stated, it does really depend on what you are trying to do, but also where the service lives. If you have a service deployed at your root, can all your users get to it? Have you tried to call the service through Fiddler - Free Web Debugging Proxy - Telerik  or Postman | API Development Environment  ? This would let you prove out that it is specific (or not specific) to SharePoint.

Hope this helps!