Solved

Is there way of setting Managed Metadata columns with workflow action?

• 14 February 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

I'm trying to write a workflow to copy an item from one list to another. Still can't really believe there isn't an action for this...

Anyway, I've got the workflow working for all of my fields, except a Managed Metadata field. I can retrieve the Label and Guid of the source field, but can't figure out how to set this value on the destination item.

Surely this can't be impossible?

Any help much appreciated happy.png

icon

Best answer by davetansley 15 February 2017, 14:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi,

unfortunately not. Only reading and adding:

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +3

Hi Tomasz,

Thanks for the reply.

You may be interested to learn that it is possible, though it's not simple and it's not without caveats. The basic steps are outlined here:

How to Update a Managed Metadata Field using a SharePoint Designer 2013 Workflow – a journey into software best practice… 

(which is for Designer workflows, but the principle is the same for Nintex workflows)

I've now got this working, though I found that you need to be careful of a few things:

1. This won't work if the internal name of the Taxonomy Field (not the Note field) has spaces (or _x0200_) in it. It just fails without an error.
  2. I couldn't get it to work with fields that were provisioned declaritively in a schema.xml. It needed to be created through the UI.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Wow, I wasn't even searching for a solution using SPD, thinking no one is no longer using it, but.. You got me! That's cool. Very useful! Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Just thought I'd update this as I stumbled across this and it confused me.

You can update a Taxonomy field in Nintex Workflow by updating thefield with the string int the following format "Term|GUID".

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

This is the easier way to do it. One clarification, you set the hidden field (e.g. myTaxonomyField_0) to the Term|GUID (e.g. myTaxonomyValue|theGUIDforthatvalue). The Update List Item action works with it.