Is it possible to restrict edit and delete item but allow the user to manually start a workflow?

Badge +3

I have a leave request workflow which initiates when a user creates an item and then I have another workflow which can be manually started which deletes the leave item. In order to allow the users to manually start a workflow they need edit permission. However some users forget there is a delete workflow and try to edit or delete the item manually without the workflow (which notifies HR and deletes it from the leave calendar). Is it possible to restrict edit and delete item permissions but allow the user to manually start a workflow? Or is there a way around this?

2 replies

Badge +8

Hello, I'm wondering that a user can start a workflow with edit permissions, from my knowledge it requires contribute rights.

Back to topic.

I'd had a similar requirement, and the only way I mentioned was to hide all related stuff (e.g.

list ContextualGroup, itemlink... via JSLink ) for non sitecollection admins

Even I've added a button via JSLink (For each row), which allows the user to start an Workflow (Called via JSOM as mentioned here)

hope it helps

best regards

oliver

Badge +7

Good day Jesse,

In a case like this I usually end up using two lists.  One is the initial application that allows a user to create his/her leave request and then a workflow kicks off or they can manually start it.  In the workflow, I will then delete the original request and create a new item in a "Admin" or "Process" table where the application will go for the necessary approvals etc.

On the Initial application list I will have a default view to show only my ([me]) requests this will show you all your requests by default and allow you to start them when you are ready. This should help with the Start the workflow requirement.

To create the item in the second list I will make sure that I user the Action Set Action and run this as admin so that the initial user does not have access to the "Process" table but only the administrators.  This should help with the Edit and Delete requirement.

There is also the capability in the SharePoint roles where you can take away the delete.  I have the normal Contribute role and I also created a Contribute-no Delete role, where I allow people to create and edit documents but they are not allowed to delete the items or documents.

Let me know if you need more info on any of these.