cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

How to prevent a workflow from starting?

Jump to solution

Here's my scenario:  Using Nintex Workflow for Office 365, I have a workflow that is configured to start when an item is created and modified.  I want to change these settings to not run when an item is created or modified so that I can import a bunch of items without kicking off these workflows.  I update the workflow settings in the app, publish the workflow, and the workflow still executes for every item I create. I have found that if I go to the Workflow settings for the list and set the workflow to No New Instances it will typically stop the workflow from running, though there have been times on other list workflows where I've had to Remove the workflow to get it to not run when new items are created.  If I create an SPD2010 or 2013 workflow I do not have this problem.

So if I have to set the workflow to No New Instances or even Remove the workflow to get it to not run, is this expected behavior? Should I not be able to just change the settings in the workflow, publish it, and have it run (or not run) based on those settings?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
fhunth
Nintex Newbie

Re: How to prevent a workflow from starting?

Jump to solution

You can block the workflow,upload your items and then unblock it.

Take a look at >>> How to remove or block a Workflow on Office 365

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: How to prevent a workflow from starting?

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply Fernando, that's what I had to do.  In some cases I can set the workflows to No New Instances and they don't start, though in some cases I've had to Remove the workflow.  What I'm trying to understand is why the settings in the workflow itself are ignored; I can have the 'Start when items are created' box unchecked in the workflow, publish it, and most of the time it still runs. 

0 Kudos