cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

How to connect a custom task form field to a field in the list?

Jump to solution

I have a task form custom field that I have connected to a list field. It is a user field, which happens to be the next user in the process. But when they fill it out it does not get saved into the sharepoint list. So when I do my lookup for the next user in the process it can't find it and stops. I am new to Nintex. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Tags (1)
23 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: How to connect a custom task form field to a field in the list?

Jump to solution

Hi Joe, it's possible that the connection isn't sticking somehow, depending on the order you used to add the people field to the task form or maybe a bug with it handling people fields. If you can't get it to save into the field properly you might still be able to access the xml of the Nintex form that gets saved in the Form Data on that task item and then use a query xml to get your field value out. I haven't tried it myself but maybe that would work?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hello ‌ - 

Do you already have your person field on the list? If so, you should be able to simply add the list field to your task form rather than trying to connect the form to the list. This makes the user filing out the form write directly to the list rather than to the task form and then to the list.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

This does not work either. Very frustrating.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Try removing the person field that is on the form under "List Item" and adding in the one from the left side controls (under "List Columns").

Here it is in action:

Create item in list (no changes to the form ootb):

I did not add in a user for [Next User]

This is the Task Form that I created (With classic):

Go back to my list and refresh:

Another task should be assigned to [Next User] (this time with responsive just to be sure it works with each setup) ...

We can see that I am still listed as the [Next User]. Let's change that to good ol' Tester McGee

And again, let's check the list to ensure that the data come through:

Let me know if you have any questions, but try removing the initial control and replace it with the "List Columns" control.

Hope this helps!

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Jesse, I removed the one that was imported and added from the list controls and it still does not work. I have a support ticket out for this. And this is on office 365 by the way.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hmmm... Not sure why it wouldn't work for you. Are you updating the task form in the task action within the workflow or the task form on the task list?

‌ / - Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I click on the link in the email.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Jessie, your explanation is complete and very descriptive. I rather think this is something on Joe side, maybe some sort of misconfiguration or misunderstanding. 

Joe, so please confirm - you have a task list, to which you have added a new field - Next Person, that is a people picker field. Then you have created a task form using Nintex Forms for Office 365, and you have added that field.

Can you confirm, that the field, in its settings, is having the "Connected To" configuration option showing the name of the people column from your list?

If yes - how and when that field is filled with information? By a current approver, who is responding to a task (he manually indicates who the next approver is) or by the workflow? How do you then use that information?

Does the workflow look up the task, read the information from that field and accordingly assign the task to indicated person?

Regards,

Tomasz

Regards, Tomasz Poszytek
0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Lets make it simpler, I have a task form, that I put a list control on that has the "connected to" field populated with the field in the list. This field is on the list that the workflow runs on not the task list. When I click on the link in the email it takes me to the task form. I fill out the fields and click submit and the information does get saved on the form, but not in the list. Does that make sense?

0 Kudos