Solved

How to compare two workflows?

• 10 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

Is there anyway to compare two workflows side by side? I tried exporting the nwp file, but that doesn't open in notepad++ (well it does, but not in a way which it can be compared)

I have two workflows which are supposed to be identical, however one is producing a very slight different result. The workflows are quite large, and the only way of doing this is literally opening every single step from both workflows one at a time. 

Any suggestions appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by TomaszPoszytek 10 October 2017, 11:22

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, not. If you want to compare them "by content" and just to receive "true" or "false" maybe you can generate control sum for both exported files. If the value is identical for both, then I assume they are equal.

What do you mean by "slightly different results"? Isn't it related to the input they receive?

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +3

Well the fact that we get different results must mean something is different with the workflow config, so I just want to find out where the difference is (the one in 'test' is working ok, but the one in 'prod' is not. I don't want to overwrite prod until I know there is nothing else missing from the workflow). 

Sounds like there is no way to do this - when I use the nwp files in notepad++ it looks like there are differences everywhere which I presume are down to site/library naming conventions, so no easy way to compare.

I was hoping there would be some sort of XML output or similar (request for a future release?! 🙂 )

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well there is If you change the extension of your exported workflow from NWP to ZIP you will get an archive full of XML files:

The names of the files are quite obvious, regarding their contents, so feel free to compare them ex. in Visual Studio.

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +3

Thank you - finding the actions.xml file and comparing it using Notepad++ helped me resolve my problem

Badge +2

Can't save the workflow as zip file