Assign permissions when delegating tasks

• 27 September 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might have some tips on an issue I'm having.

We've built a custom HR solution. Due to it's nature, all of the records are locked down via security in one form or another, including leave applications (I'm not really sure why, but anyway)

The problem I'm having is when a manager or team leader delegates an approval task for a leave request, the new approver doesn't necessarily have permissions to the list item.

Is there some way to create a workflow on the approval tasks list that, when a task is delegated to someone else, it would go back and modify the item level security on the leave request to include the delegated approver?

The workflow I've created on the tasks list never seems to fire when items are modified.

We're running SharePoint Enterprise 2013 with Nintex Workflow Std.

4 replies

Badge +7

A good way to avoid permissions issues is to use Task Forms : whatever the permissions on the original item, the Task Form will get the delegated pemissions if task is delegated.

You "just" have to build your task form to contain enough informations for the approver to take his decision.

This Task Form could for example be quite similar to the initial form....except the validation fields.

Task Forms means :

- less work to manage permissions according to validation state

- less work for rules, to define what some people can see, what others can't

- access right automatically managed by task itself...nothing to do manually when delegated

Badge +2

Thanks Thomas, I'll give that a try. To be honest I'm thinking the whole solution needs to be looked at and partially rebuilt. Some people are having issues just approving things *sigh*

Badge +16

how did you get on ‌?  is this resolved?

Badge +2

I didn't suceed with the above unfortunately. I took a step back and asked WHY the approvers needed to delegate ~20 tasks a week, and discovered that it was easier to change the approver from the line manager to the team leaders, so that solved the problem :p