Error: Unable to connect to server...10061

• 10 November 2005
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1
Before K2 and SQL server were on the same box.
Now SQL Server was moved to separate box.
From Web.config of Workspace, updated serverkey to new SQL Server name.

But when browsed to Workspace from browser following error appears:

Error: Unable to connect to server <newSQLServerName>- on port 5252 connect failed: 10061

Made sure K2 service is running, I can see the worklist from MMC, all functions work under K2MMC.

What am I missing?

Thanks

3 replies

Badge +11
Could be any one of a lot of different settings - depending on your setup...

I would definitely recommend to open a formal support ticket through the K2Workflow portal.

I assume K2.net Server and IIS is still on the same machine. Have you changed the K2Server.config file to point to the new database server?

Are you using Active Directory for your user management?

Are you using Integrated Windows Authentication or SQL Authentication on your databases?

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +8
Hi,

Just a quick explanation on how Workspace works. It consists basically of 2 parts. 1st part (located in Workspace virtual directory in IIS) is the web pages that you browse and the 2nd part is a web services used for data retrieval (located in WorkspaceService virtual directory). The Workspace component will call the WorkspaceService for all process information, no direct SQL calls are made from Workspace itself (there s no SQL connection string in the web.config of Workspace).

Based on this, changing the K2 Server and the SQL Server will impact different parts of Workspace and require changing different web.config s.

If you change your K2 Server, you will need to update the ServerName key in the web.config in the Workspace virtual directory to point to the new K2 Server. Workspace will then use this K2 Server to ensure that the applicable permissions are enforced by users browsing the reports and their Worklists. You have changed this key and as such, Workspace is looking for a K2 Server on your SQL Server machine and thus the error. This should be changed back to point to your K2 Server name.

If you change your SQL server, you will have to update the DSN key in the web.config of the WorkspaceService virtual directory as that is the component that does the actual SQL db call to retrieve the required data.

As a reference, the actual location of the virtual directories are C:Program FilesK2.net 2003K2WSWorkspace and C:Program FilesK2.net 2003K2WSWorkspaceService, assuming that you ve installed K2 in the default location.
Badge +1
Thanks for your reply. It was the web.config that I have to change.