MSMQ Error in Configuration Analysis

• 17 February 2011
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi

I've got a problem with MSMQ when I try to setup K2 Server.

the error show like this:

"Message Queuing Enabled
Analysis Result: Failed.
MSMQ Directory Service Integration has been detected on this system.
MSMQ Workgroup flag in the registry is incorrect, its value shoud be 0 for domain machines."

anyone know how I can fix this?

thank...

9 replies

Badge +6

in regedit go to:

local machinesoftwaremicrosoftMSMQParameters

There should be a value called "Workgroup", change it's value to 0.

Badge +3

Thank you...Thirsty

that could be a good solution but do I need to restart after change value? if yes, I have to wait many hours

Badge +6

You don't need to restart, just re-run the K2 configuration analysis.

Badge +3

It's seem work but I've got another error like this:

"The temporary message queue ...MyServerName...TemporaryQueueJH47RK9M27AL3MCR01 could not be created for the follwing reason:
Object owner was invalid. For example, MQCreateQueue failed because the Queue Manager object is invalid."

I have no idea what is this?

Badge +6

I had this the other day while setting up a new K2 environment. If I remember correctly the solution was something like this:

1. Remove K2
  2. Remove MSMQ
  3. RESTART
  4. Install MSMQ (make sure the workgroup value is 0)
  5. RESTART
  6. Install K2

You could try running the k2 installer again.

When you load the server manager and view the Message Queuing feature, do you have a Public Queues folder ?

Badge +3

I didn't know so much about MSMQ but I guess we don't have Public Queues folder here

I will try with your suggestion but I'm afraid that cannot be in this week because many people still working with this server

BTW, thank a lot Thirsty...

Badge +6

Not a problem, and if it makes you feel better, I have done about 5 K2 installs from the ground up, from single server to completely distributed system, and I think I have only had one install where i didn't have some issue with MSMQ.

I once had a consultant from K2 at my office for a couple of days to help us with a client setup and he spent almost a day trying to get MSMQ working properly. So it's not just you, all of us have a hate relationship with MSMQ.

I have learnt to check that the Public Queues folder is present, if not then there is a problem with MSMQ.

Badge

Hi

MSMQ is a piece of cake to install but is very dependent on the environment. For example, Active Directory integration usually breaks when overzealous domain admins decide to lock down every object they don't understand. For a consultant to take a day to get MSMQ working tells me more about the environment and the consulant than the reliability of MSMQ  :-)

Looking at the original problem - "MSMQ Directory Service Integration has been detected on this system. MSMQ Workgroup flag in the registry is incorrect, its value shoud be 0 for domain machines." It sounds like setup has been attempted a couple of times in different ways to end up with a mix of AD and workgroup mode. The workgroup registry value is set by the MSMQ service so it sounds like MSMQ couldn't go into AD-integration mode (probably due to access to AD issues) and so falls back to workgroup mode. An event log entry would probably state this at MSMQ service startup.

The public folder should always be there, regardless of AD-integration or workgroup mode.

If you need to uninstall MSMQ, make sure you clean up any MSMQ objects under the computer object in AD.

Cheers

John Breakwell

http://blogs.msdn.com/JohnBreakwell

Badge +11

So I see 2 questions here worth clarifying. First MSMQ workgroup flag. Often people seeing this warning from K2 Setup Manager (Directory integration detected but workgroup flag is still set to 1) being IT savvy rush into registry to adjust it. Don't hurry as you may see your change reverted back in no time (server restart, MSMQ service restart) if you not addressed root cause. For this I just recap my answer to the question "How to change Msmq configuration from workgroup mode to domain mode?" posted on stackowerflow.com:

Basically the difference between domain and work group mode is not defined by the value of the registry flag "workgroup", this flag just reflects current operational mode but doesn't set it.
Whether you run in domain or workgroup mode is defined whether you installed MSMQ on domain controller or on a member server. Details about differences between these two modes can be found here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/884974/
MSMQ 1.0 used to support domain mode only. Current MSMQ version is 5.0.
Next you may see quite interesting behavior when you installed MSMQ on your DC, your workgroup flag continuously reverts to 1 after each MSMQ service restart.This means that you have to grant Network Service account the Create MSMQ Configuration Objects permission to the computer object in Active Directory Domain Services before installing the Directory Services Integration feature on a computer that is a domain controller. You may find details on how to do it here: 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730960.aspx
MSMQ runs under the (less privileged) Network Service account instead of (all powerful) Local System account starting from version 4.0 (Vista/Server 2008)
So to answer question more directly to "set" domain mode you just install MSMQ on domain controller and make sure that proper permissions in place for Network Service account. Once this is done you well see it operating in domain mode with workgroup flag switched to 0 automatically to reflect this.

Next I saw another MSMQ related error message mentioned in this thread:

"Object owner was invalid" for MSMQ objects. This most likely can be caused by let's say server name change or domain membership change performed post MSMQ install. The best/easiest way around this is to reinstall MSMQ component (remove feature, then add again) - it will recreate MSMQ queues from scratch, but of course you will lose any pending messages which were placed in your old queues.