cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davisn
Nintex Newbie

Form Choice Field Validation Setup

Jump to solution

Really looking for some agreement from the masses here. I have a form, and was trying to validate that when a choice field is empty/Null, then the control is invalid. So I set the formula to isNullorEmpty({self}). Seems pretty basic, right? But no, this didn't work... So then i tried {self}==""... This didn't work either. Then I tried {self}=="Please select a value...", which is the default text in the choice field when nothing selected. This still didn't work.

So, to test what the value in an empty choice field actually is, I placed a calculation field on the form and made it equal to the value of that choice field. To my disbeleif, it has another value... "**SelectValue**".

I went back to my validation formula, and set it to {self}=="**SelectValue**" and this worked!!!!

Some things about Nintex are just absolutely annoying, and illogical. This is just another one. But I hope that someone else finds this helpful.

Labels: (1)
4 Replies
Warwick
Nintex Newbie

Re: Form Choice Field Validation Setup

Jump to solution

This certainly seems strange behavior, it's not something i've come across before.

Was your choice field radio boxes?

0 Kudos
davisn
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

It is set up as a drop down choice field. I thought it was strange as well, because I thought I previously built a form and just used double quotes "" to represent no selection. I would be interested to see if other tenents have the same expirience. Would you be able to test what the calculated value of an choice feild with no selection would?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I just saw this after having the same problem and coming to the same solution.  In my case, however, I had a form that was working and then one day the validation based on my dropdown lists stopped working.  I had to go in and change the validation rules from "isNullOrEmpty(dropdownControl)" to "equals(dropdownControl, '**SelectValue**')".

I went back to a form I created a while back on an on-prem site and confirmed that an unselected dropdown comes back as null/blank there.

Does anyone know if this change came from a recent update to Nintex?  This issue seems to come up a couple of times in the forums starting only in the last couple of months. 

0 Kudos
chelledavis11
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

OMG Thank you for this. All of a sudden dropdowncontrol == "Value" stopped working. 

0 Kudos