Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
davisn
Nintex Newbie

Form Choice Field Validation Setup

Jump to solution

Really looking for some agreement from the masses here. I have a form, and was trying to validate that when a choice field is empty/Null, then the control is invalid. So I set the formula to isNullorEmpty({self}). Seems pretty basic, right? But no, this didn't work... So then i tried {self}==""... This didn't work either. Then I tried {self}=="Please select a value...", which is the default text in the choice field when nothing selected. This still didn't work.

So, to test what the value in an empty choice field actually is, I placed a calculation field on the form and made it equal to the value of that choice field. To my disbeleif, it has another value... "**SelectValue**".

I went back to my validation formula, and set it to {self}=="**SelectValue**" and this worked!!!!

Some things about Nintex are just absolutely annoying, and illogical. This is just another one. But I hope that someone else finds this helpful.

Labels: (1)
4 Replies
Warwick
Nintex Newbie

Re: Form Choice Field Validation Setup

Jump to solution

This certainly seems strange behavior, it's not something i've come across before.

Was your choice field radio boxes?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
davisn
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

It is set up as a drop down choice field. I thought it was strange as well, because I thought I previously built a form and just used double quotes "" to represent no selection. I would be interested to see if other tenents have the same expirience. Would you be able to test what the calculated value of an choice feild with no selection would?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I just saw this after having the same problem and coming to the same solution.  In my case, however, I had a form that was working and then one day the validation based on my dropdown lists stopped working.  I had to go in and change the validation rules from "isNullOrEmpty(dropdownControl)" to "equals(dropdownControl, '**SelectValue**')".

I went back to a form I created a while back on an on-prem site and confirmed that an unselected dropdown comes back as null/blank there.

Does anyone know if this change came from a recent update to Nintex?  This issue seems to come up a couple of times in the forums starting only in the last couple of months. 

0 Kudos
chelledavis11
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

OMG Thank you for this. All of a sudden dropdowncontrol == "Value" stopped working. 

0 Kudos