Spanish Accent Marks Replaced with Numeric Character Reference

Badge +1

Hi People,

I am creating a Nintex form with a repeating section that is stored as a XML. A workflow is started after I create the element, and there I use some regular expressions to extract the text from the XML (because the query XML element is not available here).

It has been working fine since we started to add words with accent in the repeating section.

I see that some words have accents like Técnico, Policía, Médico, etc. Some other last names from my region use this accents and I cannot ask a user to don't write his name correctly. The fact is that if I send a mail to myself with the repeating section field, or check it in the list, what I get instead of an accented word is its numeric character reference, for example:

á = á

é = é

And so on, That text is making my Regular Expression Workflow actions crash repeatedly, because I don't want to allow characters like #, & or ; in the fields I am processing.

I already changed my sharepoint site regional settings but it doesn´t seems to work.

I tried changing the type of text that will be stored in the field but if I use Rich text, the field gets damaged. Is there anything I can do?

2 replies

Badge +5

You could amend your regex to allow strings in the format &#ddd; but no other occurrences of these characters - it looks like these are being encoded as they fall outside of the usual ASCII character set.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

first of all I'd ask admins to enable Query/Update XML actions...

they are much more effective then any regular expressions and string actions.

what you experience with some characters is basic XML feature. characters out of regular ASCII range are represented in their numeric form.

nintex provides XmlEncode() and XmlDecode() functions to converts characters back and forth.