Solved

Error handling for action that manage users on O365

• 15 February 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

I was looking at the action available of Nintex for O365 to manage user profile and I've found that currently there is no error handling..

I'm trying to create a workflow that, based on some date in a list, will create a user on O365 and assign him some license, I've looked also on Node environment for a similar workflow and I've been able to do that kind of workflow..

The workflow runs correctly if the new username calculated from the workflow is not existing, but if for some reason (depending on naming convention on user account) the username is already existing, the Create O365 user action fails and the workflow get stuck in suspended internal state..

I've tried then to query User Profile by the "new" username before using the create action, but that action errors if the username provided is not existing, so the workflow is stuck again..

Do you have any suggestion on how to check if a username is already existing or not on O365?

Thank you very much for any suggestion!

Giacomo

icon

Best answer by francois 18 February 2016, 17:15

View original

5 replies

Badge +6

Not a solution but may be a workaround (not tested).

2 workflows, a master and a slave (slave = check if user exists only for example). The master starts the slave and wait its status become "suspended" or "completed"

If value is "suspended" (necessary to terminate the workflow instance), the user doesn't exist and if value is "completed", the user exists.

Else, I found that informations: https://msdn.microsoft.com/Library/Azure/Ad/Graph/api/api-catalog

and https://msdn.microsoft.com/Library/Azure/Ad/Graph/api/users-operations

Badge +6

There is a parameter in the Workflow App too.

To activate it, go to "Site contents" in site collection level, and click on the App of "Nintex Workflow for Office 365".

In the new screen, you will see at the top/right a wheel. Click on it and you will acces to an extra parameter ("Administration Settings"):

WorkflowPermission.png

May be that can help you...

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi François THOMAS,

thanks for your suggestions but even if I enable that option in Administration Settings, the workflow will go into Suspended status if I query for a not existing user profile.

For the master/slave combination..how can I query for the internal status of a workflow on Office365? Do you have any example to show because I have no idea on how to achieve this...

Giacomo

Badge +6

Hi Giacomo Gelosi ,

After your question, I saw in the UserVoice website that option is not available yet (Workflow Column Status – Customer Feedback for Nintex) but it is pending request.

However, I found that other post (Show Workflow-Status in Office 365) that can be interesting. May be it is possible to put a status in a column ("Set Workflow Status" as suggested Henning Eiben) and if after a delay this value is always the same it can signify there is an issue.

This is just an idea...

Badge +6

For information: I tried to reuse the column added by Nintex (name of the workflow) but in that case the workflow stayed always in "started" mode. With a (new) custom column, it was ok.