Solved

How to add images into word template using Document Generation action

• 17 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

I know I could partially achieve it with the IncludePicture Field Quick part ( {{ INCLUDEPICTURE  }} ) but this requires the user to open the document then select the whole table then hit F9 to get the pictures loaded properly. Not really ideal if there is an additional step for users.

Anyone have any great ideas on how to add images into a word template table using the Document Generation action in Nintex Workflow for O365 without needed the user's intervention?

icon

Best answer by rickdemarco 10 April 2017, 04:18

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not believe this is even possible. Images are held in DOCX as base64 encoded strings. If you open DOCX using 7zip for example you will notice, that contents of the document are kept in a XML file. As well as the inserted image. document generation action allows you to work with just text values, there is no option to choose binary for example

So once again - I don't believe you can do it without some more sophisticated solution.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Nicholas,

With the current action this is not possible however in our upcoming release (very soon) you will the ability to define images via URL's directly within the action which will then show up as tags in the tagger. Very simple ..

If you want to know more have a read of ‌ blog regarding the on-prem features as they will be basically the same.. 

Cheers, Rick

Badge +7

Hi

With the latest update for O365, is it possible to query the url of multiple pictures (the images are stored in a document library) and add each picture into a table-row?

If yes, could you please share your workflow with us?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi ,

Yes this is possible.. I'll describe what you need .. 

Firstly you need to get access the full URL of the images in the document library (this is what the doc gen action needs) and I'd say the easiest way to do this is to run a workflow when adding the image and populate a custom column on the library with the URL of the image, just build this up using same the name column and site/list url fields. If images already added just iterate through items and update, you may have another way to get the URL but this is what comes to mind..

Then in the workflow use a Query List and select the custom column you added above, probably easiest to use 'Separate output per column' and store in a simple collection.

Then in the doc gen action create a new table and with a single column and select the collection you created above and choose data type of 'Image URL'

Then in the document create a table and with the column where you want to place the image add in a image placeholder using this method - http://help.nintex.com/en-US/o365/#o365/DocGen-new/ImagesUse.htm%3FTocPath%3DWork%2520with%2520the%2520basics%7CGenerate… and tag accordingly vi Selection Pane. Currently we only support an image placeholders however this will be updated shortly to also support the individual tag.

That's all - run the workflow and you should get all the images replicated in a table..

Let me know how you go..

Badge +7

Awesome! Works for me. I am going to write a blog post about this. Thanks for your help!